questioning ATT coverage, or something is broken

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by speedbumpnv, Jul 15, 2008.

1. speedbumpnv macrumors regular

picked up my iPhone 3G on friday morning and i have been having issues with service. my network connections are slow and calls are broken and frequently cut out and drop off. for the past 2 days have i had to turn the 3G off completely in order to use the phone in any meaning manner. today i ran some connection speed tests while at work. i ran each test with the phone sitting in the same location on my desk. the results are below.

the first is 3G followed by EDGE and finally WiFi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

obviously WiFi is the fasted but my 3G connection seems to me just a little bit slower than what i was expecting, just a little.

below are my coverage areas according to AT&T's website. the pin is where my office is located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see, its not like i am out in the middle of no where land.

should i consult an AT&T associate about this? if this is the way my new phone and added service rates are going to act, its back to my Gen1 iPhone we go.

2. meko macrumors newbie

3. mctrees02 macrumors member

Judging from the maps you provided us, it looks like you ran your tests from the high limit salon at the Wynn or Venetian. Knowing the cell service at Wynn like I do...I'd venture to guess that's your problem! ;)

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

My phone doesn't even connect to 3G and I'm in a 3G area! It keeps showing the E...

You'd think I'd get good 3G coverage since I live 5 minutes from Apple HQ in Cupertino, CA.:rolleyes:

5. speedbumpnv thread starter macrumors regular

the pin is actually just south of the airport in a one story office building. i zoomed in to make sure. my bars of service show a full 5-bars. unless these are just for show and mean nothing, i have full signal.

6. mctrees02 macrumors member

fair enough. I noticed it looked like it was around the strip and then tried to approximate the location based on google maps and the shape of 515. I see what I did...I looked at the wrong curve in the road. Oops... :(

7. kmay37 macrumors member

I get 3g everywhere around me except in my neighborhood...lol go figure...but even my edge is faster than that. When I did get one bar of 3g in my neighborhood one time, it was around 350 kbps