Carrier Questioning If I got a Free Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bikerblue, Oct 5, 2018.

1. bikerblue macrumors newbie

bikerblue

So I ordered an xs max and later stopped into the verizon store and they had one in stock so gave me that one but apparently they never stopped my online order. I have now received another xs max in the mail today. So how do I figure out if I am charged for this? It looks like on the account just the one phone??

2. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Talk to them, you only bought one. Not only is it morally wrong to keep it, you may get in trouble for not returning the second phone.

3. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The charge has just not hit your card yet. It does happen but very seldom.

Are you an honest person?

5. Mad4clay macrumors 6502

6. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

They will either charge that phone to your account or eventually blacklist it. Just return it.

7. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

Lol, people in here immediately trying to shame you. I would recommend bringing the situation to the attention of someone at Verizon so they can remedy it. They're probably carrier locked, so you couldn't sell the second one anyway.

8. stafil, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

stafil macrumors 6502

I believe it’s legal for you to keep it, so unless they ask it back, keep it. Maybe not 100% morally right, but it’s not like you will be hurting anyone. It’s a trillion dollar company.

I would personally send it back, because I am an idiot that loves to do the “right” thing, but I wouldn’t judge you if you didn’t.

9. Krayzkat Suspended

I would think in this day and age it would be quite easy to blacklist/deactivate the extra iPhone once they eventually realise that stock item is unaccounted for, so you may as well return it.

You might get some account credit as a reward for honesty or something. Mind you, having 2 Xs’s would come in handy when 1 of them decides to cut your calls off....

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Even though she attempted to cancel her original order, she ordered the phone and can't legally keep it. Your advice only applies to those who receive products in the mail that were not ordered.

I agree with others, return the phone.

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Did you mention that you ordered a phone to the Verizon rep that helped you with the phone you got at the store? If not, I wonder if they’ll charge you a restocking fee?

12. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

13. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Disclaimer: this isn’t about me.

Return the phone. Not worth the hassle.

Having said that, a friend of mine took a phone into his cell carrier because LTE wasn’t working. Long story short, the company input the wrong IMEI into their system and that is why the phone wouldn’t connect to LTE.

Well, after they input the correct IMEI number, the phone payments disappeared from the account and nothing was ever changed or mentioned. That was a 5s that was about two weeks old.

So it does happen, but this was a very rare incident.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

flee the country. hide out in Mexico for a few years

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

This post is just screaming for the morality police

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I ordered one online then bought another one at the Apple store. The second one arrived and we just returned it. The charge will hit your card or it ought to eventually.

17. thedieselwind macrumors newbie

thedieselwind

Like others have said, they will track it down and either charge you or brick the phone. Just like they do to people who don't pay their device payments - second-hand buyers beware - make sure the phone you buy doesn't have any installment payments. If the previous owner defaults on the account, the carrier will deactivate the phone.

18. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

This is incorrect. Legally the phone is hers to keep. Don’t give legal advice if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

19. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

If you receive something in the mail it is legally yours even if you didn’t order it. They cannot charge you for something you didn’t order. Do not listen to “legal advice “ from people that don’t know what they’re talking about

20. Baldilocks macrumors 6502

Baldilocks

So, I can keep cashing all those checks I've been getting that are sent to me by mistake? ;)

21. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

As others have mentioned, simply not worth the agro. Return it, and make sure you have a receipt of doing so. Thus making sure your eventual credit is applied...

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

She admits to ordering the phone. Show me U.S. law that states she can keep a product she ordered.
    From the OP: So I ordered an xs max and later stopped into the verizon store and they had one in stock so gave me that one but apparently they never stopped my online order. I have now received another xs max in the mail today. So how do I figure out if I am charged for this? It looks like on the account just the one phone??

23. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Yes, as long as you send me the money.
    Pay it forward.
    It's better to give than receive,
    all that jazz...

--- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    Since he ordered it, NO, he cannot keep it;
    IF he ordered it, & say, they sent him a Samsung phone, then, yes he can keep it.
    (i have heard this, but i never heard of any REAL law that says this...)

24. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

would have saved you a lot of time to refuse the delivery. I had my first xs canceled for some unknown reason so they reordered. got both on the day so I just refused one.

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Maybe you should reread the OP before you give “legal advice”. You are 100% incorrect. This is coming from someone that actually knows the law. I’m in law school and my fiancé is an attorney.