Carrier Questioning If I got a Free Phone

bikerblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
So I ordered an xs max and later stopped into the verizon store and they had one in stock so gave me that one but apparently they never stopped my online order. I have now received another xs max in the mail today. So how do I figure out if I am charged for this? It looks like on the account just the one phone??

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
Talk to them, you only bought one. Not only is it morally wrong to keep it, you may get in trouble for not returning the second phone.

AceFernalld

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Lol, people in here immediately trying to shame you. I would recommend bringing the situation to the attention of someone at Verizon so they can remedy it. They're probably carrier locked, so you couldn't sell the second one anyway.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I believe it’s legal for you to keep it, so unless they ask it back, keep it. Maybe not 100% morally right, but it’s not like you will be hurting anyone. It’s a trillion dollar company.

I would personally send it back, because I am an idiot that loves to do the “right” thing, but I wouldn’t judge you if you didn’t.

Last edited:

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
I would think in this day and age it would be quite easy to blacklist/deactivate the extra iPhone once they eventually realise that stock item is unaccounted for, so you may as well return it.

You might get some account credit as a reward for honesty or something. Mind you, having 2 Xs’s would come in handy when 1 of them decides to cut your calls off....

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I believe it’s legal for you to keep it, so unless they ask it back, keep it. Maybe not 100% morally right, but it’s not like you will be hurting anyone. It’s a trillion dollar company.

I would personally send it back, because I am an idiot that loves to do the “right” thing, but I wouldn’t judge you if you didn’t.
Even though she attempted to cancel her original order, she ordered the phone and can't legally keep it. Your advice only applies to those who receive products in the mail that were not ordered.

I agree with others, return the phone.

Reactions: Tinmania

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Did you mention that you ordered a phone to the Verizon rep that helped you with the phone you got at the store? If not, I wonder if they’ll charge you a restocking fee?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Disclaimer: this isn’t about me.

Return the phone. Not worth the hassle.

Having said that, a friend of mine took a phone into his cell carrier because LTE wasn’t working. Long story short, the company input the wrong IMEI into their system and that is why the phone wouldn’t connect to LTE.

Well, after they input the correct IMEI number, the phone payments disappeared from the account and nothing was ever changed or mentioned. That was a 5s that was about two weeks old.

So it does happen, but this was a very rare incident.

Reactions: thedieselwind

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I ordered one online then bought another one at the Apple store. The second one arrived and we just returned it. The charge will hit your card or it ought to eventually.

Reactions: jamezr

thedieselwind

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Alabama
Like others have said, they will track it down and either charge you or brick the phone. Just like they do to people who don't pay their device payments - second-hand buyers beware - make sure the phone you buy doesn't have any installment payments. If the previous owner defaults on the account, the carrier will deactivate the phone.

einmusiker

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2010
Even though she attempted to cancel her original order, she ordered the phone and can't legally keep it. Your advice only applies to those who receive products in the mail that were not ordered.

I agree with others, return the phone.
This is incorrect. Legally the phone is hers to keep. Don’t give legal advice if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
If you receive something in the mail it is legally yours even if you didn’t order it. They cannot charge you for something you didn’t order. Do not listen to “legal advice “ from people that don’t know what they’re talking about
So, I can keep cashing all those checks I've been getting that are sent to me by mistake? ;)

Reactions: thedieselwind

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
As others have mentioned, simply not worth the agro. Return it, and make sure you have a receipt of doing so. Thus making sure your eventual credit is applied...

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is incorrect. Legally the phone is hers to keep. Don’t give legal advice if you don’t know what you’re talking about.
She admits to ordering the phone. Show me U.S. law that states she can keep a product she ordered.
From the OP: So I ordered an xs max and later stopped into the verizon store and they had one in stock so gave me that one but apparently they never stopped my online order. I have now received another xs max in the mail today. So how do I figure out if I am charged for this? It looks like on the account just the one phone??

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2016
Canada
So, I can keep cashing all those checks I've been getting that are sent to me by mistake? ;)
Yes, as long as you send me the money.
Pay it forward.
It's better to give than receive,
all that jazz...

[doublepost=1538798689][/doublepost]
She admits to ordering the phone. Show me U.S. law that states she can keep a product she ordered.
Since he ordered it, NO, he cannot keep it;
IF he ordered it, & say, they sent him a Samsung phone, then, yes he can keep it.
(i have heard this, but i never heard of any REAL law that says this...)

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
would have saved you a lot of time to refuse the delivery. I had my first xs canceled for some unknown reason so they reordered. got both on the day so I just refused one.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
If you receive something in the mail it is legally yours even if you didn’t order it. They cannot charge you for something you didn’t order. Do not listen to “legal advice “ from people that don’t know what they’re talking about
Maybe you should reread the OP before you give “legal advice”. You are 100% incorrect. This is coming from someone that actually knows the law. I’m in law school and my fiancé is an attorney.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.