Questioning performance of RAM warranty parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ma5ter5, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ma5ter5 macrumors member

ma5ter5

Hi,

I'm a rather novice, so hopefully my question make sense.

Is there significant difference in the performance of components, particularly RAM, within a category of parts? I.e., I recently received some warranty RAM from Corsair (2x4GB PC-1066 DDR3) that was packaged "ValueSelect", and my computer's performance doesn't seem as good as the original Corsair RAM I purchased originally. MEMTEST doesn't suggest there is anything wrong with it...

Also, I made the mistake of purchasing Corsair instead of Crucial. Is there a noticeable difference in the quality of RAM from different manufacturers? Should I just drop the $36 and get the Crucial from Newegg?

Thanks,

Steve

2. T5BRICK, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I don't know the specs of your computer, but I'm running 2 x 4GB of Corsair Valueselect RAM in my mid 2009 and it works fine.

*edit* I've gotta stop answering these posts from my phone. 1066MHz RAM should be fine in your 2010 MBP.

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

corsair makes good rams, i've always trusted their products on all of my pc builds. though, i've always verify them with memtest86 just to make sure.

on my macbook pro 13 early 2011 i used a set of 16gb 1333mhz value select from crucial and they performed wonderfully. very little beach balls and everything is very smooth and snappy.

you alway want to buy them in matched pairs or sets and avoid mixing brands and different speeds.