Questioning the build quality of the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MassacrMan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MassacrMan macrumors member

With all these "I opened the box and found a dent/scratch/chip on my iPad 2" threads.

I am certainly beginning to question the durability of the build quality of this second-generation iPad. I don't recall seeing this many manufacturer defects out of the box for the first-generation iPad.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do you own an iPad 2? and if so, how did yours turn out?

People are more likely to go to a forum and complain rather than to place a compliment, so by this logic, any minor issue seems to appear as wide spread as affecting everyone.

my $0.02
    My iPad 2 is flawless and I am satisfied with my purchase.

3. MassacrMan thread starter macrumors member

I do not own an iPad 2, I did however play with one in Best Buy for about 15 and thoroughly inspected the body of it. It felt very durable and sturdy to me compared to my iPad 1.

I'm just wondering if the amount if people stating having a defective product is a normal amount or higher than usual. To me, it seems higher than usual.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'd say it's relatively quiet for a big new product.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Let's say that by now they've sold a million iPad 2s, just for round figures. If one tenth of one percent of those iPads had issues which the owners then started a thread about here, that would make for a thousand complaint threads. :)

6. MassacrMan thread starter macrumors member

I probably jumped the gun on saying that the amount of defects is higher than usual, the iPad 2 is a very nice device. Atleast that's what I got out of the 15 minutes I spent with one. :)

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I think I saw two threads like that. So not exactly an epidemic.

8. HighApple macrumors newbie

I have a chip in my brand new ipAd 2, now I don't know if I shoould exchange it or not

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's the old squeaky wheel syndrome. Also there has probably been over 1,000,000 sold so far and if only .1% had a problem and only 1% of those started a thread there would be over a 1000 threads. So put things into perspective before jumping to a conclusion.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Let's also not forget that people expect their Apple Hardware to be flawless. You will see threads like "my iPad 2 has a scratch on the back" and when you look at the picture, it is a quarter inch scratch that almost entirely superficial. I'm not saying people shouldn't have their stuff delivered in a good condition, but frankly I have much bigger fish to fry than to worry about a tiny scuff/scratch on the back that will be covered by a case (and if it isn't, then it will end up with a ton of scratches soon anyway, so who cares).

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I saw a Ferrari before and heard it had some issues.

13. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I got an AT&T iPad 2 from Apple on Tuesday after waiting 3 hours for the 9AM opening. The iPad 2 kept freezing and restarting I also noticed a nick on the bottom that was small. I went to the Apple Store to replace the unit and my replacement is much better. No marks, scruffs, scratches, and best of all no freezing!

14. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

You sir, are smart.... Agree with all

15. triplecore1 macrumors member

Also their might be some iPad's with problems (4 or 5 I have read on here; then again I am not on here daily), but when you consider the amount that has been produced. The defect rate is rather low.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Are you serious? :eek:

I have never ever in my life seen so many postings about such a wide variety of issues with any new product!