Questioning whether I have a defective iPhone or not..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevey500, Aug 6, 2008.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Just got my 3G a week and a half ago...
    I switched from Alltel... I've been a motorola phone user (of all kinds) in the CDMA technology field for like 8 years now.

I'm now on ATT with my new iPhone...
    Love its features, love its capability.
    HATE the lag, HATE the flaky-ness of the 2.0 so far... hoping for the best on updates from apple, what the heck?

Anyways, to the point of this message: I hate the battery life.
    I know this phone DOES everything and requires more power than other phones... Tell me if this is normal:

If I leave 3G, WIFI(not connected), and auto brightness on and put about 2 hours of use on the phone (general texting, browing the app store a little bit, typing in notes, etc..) in which it is stated in the "usage" menu in settings, my battery isn't far from its last limb... I have to REALLY conserve battery power to hope that its going to last me the rest of my day after school.

IF I leave 3G off, the most I've been able to put on the phone with the brightness at 35% and WIFI turned off is about 6 hours, didn't seem like 6 hours at all(is that counter accurate? If so, then I really DID use my iphone a lot that day.. highly doubt it though!), but thats what the USAGE window said. with 17hrs 33min standby.. and then it died.

It seems to me that on all of my motorola phones, and especially on my z6m ROKR, I could go up to the 3rd day with enough battery power to survive me till the 3rd night and ill have to plug it in again and I was a heavy user on that phone... Also loved the fact I could go to the contacts and messages windows with no lag what so ever... as soon as i hit contacts, i can hit H instantly to go to my H's and click send new message within 1.5 seconds.

Love the iphone, looking forward to updates... spent lots of money on this thing... i hope things get better.

EDIT: it seems to me, my buddy jeremy with his 6 month old iphone (first - gen) is getting AMAZING battery life over what i'm getting. I always see him playing on his phone, browsing, messing with youtube, etc... during classes at our college.. while i pull mine out ever once in a while and reply to a message.. (with 3g Disabled), ill meet up with him later in the night at 10PM and notice his battery at LEAST half to 3/4 still full while mine is about dead.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Location Services suck down power like nothing else. As does the 3G modem, just keeping in contact with the towers. This is why Steve didn't want to put 3G in the original iPhone.

TEG

4. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well shucks! Steve should still SELL the old iphone then...

bummer

fuel cell .. ?

:)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

He sold the old one to gain satisfied hype and gain market; now it's this is real deal, but everyone is overlooking the issues.

6. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

well heck, yeah i think ill be running mostly without the 3G enabled then...

maybe apple will update the power managing software portion of the OS to shut off and unused hardware when not needed, maybe a shortcut to turn 3G on and off would be cool.

7. View macrumors regular

I think you may have a defective phone!
    Mine lasts through out the day without any problems.
    It says 5.5 hrs of usage and 18 hrs of standby when it has about 10% left.

My usage consists of...
    30% iPod
    20% Browsing
    20% GoogleMap/GPS
    20% App
    10% talking on the phone

Settings:
    3G always on
    Wifi always on
    Loc Serv on
    Push on
    Fetch off

I would go talk to the Genius

8. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man!

I'll do a test tomorrow. I'll unplug at 9AM...

Turn everything besides "fetch" on..
    I'll post my usage screenshot and details later.