questionnns!! mac to windows?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blockaid, Feb 7, 2011.

1. blockaid macrumors newbie

Is There A Software that allows you to use Windows On Your Mac? If So Whats it Called?
    And are you able to go back and forth between mac and windows with it? and whats a price range for it??

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

There's 4 I know of.
    1. Bootcamp. Free. Lets you create a partition on your Mac for you to install Windows. You can switch between Windows and Mac by rebooting.
    2. VirtualBox. Free. Lets you create a virtual Windows PC. I don't know if it lets you use your Bootcamp while you're logged into Mac OS X.
    3. VMWare Fusion. Same as #2, but costs money. Can create a virtual Windows PC, or use your Bootcamp inside Mac OS X.
    4. Parallels. Same as #2/#3, but costs money.

There's some debate as to whether #3 or #4 is better. By many accounts #4 is faster.

3. josh1231 macrumors regular

Boot Camp works great, but you have to reboot to gain access to the different OS. It is really the only option if you're going to play most games, as they just don't run well in a virtual machine.

I use Parallels, and it works great for me.

4. blockaid thread starter macrumors newbie

when you say 'partition' what do you mean??
    will i be able to install Windows items on the windows part...then be able to transfer my work i do on windows to the Mac part?( such as the pictures )
    ya'll are really helpful just trying to digger deeper into the items.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You basically make the computer see the one hard drive as two different drives by splitting it into two sections. Since the formatting is different, you can install things in windows while in windows, but if you want to put the pictures on the Mac partition, you have to find them while running OS X. If you need to use the two at the same time, or if that would be easier, I'd check out Parallels desktop or VMware fusion. If you just need to use it occasionally, or if you don't need them at the same time, just stick with Bootcamp.