Questions: 2016 MBP - GPU and SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Nov 1, 2016.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

Sorry to bother you guys! Been waiting to upgrade my 2013 rMBP and finally have these new ones to choose from!

My questions are:

1. Do the 15" 2016 MBPs have removable SSDs? Should I upgrade to 512gb or save my money and buy a third party SSD?!

2. I know nothing about GPUs. Is there any point of upgrading the base option if I'm not a video editor/all I do with video is watch it?

Thanks!!

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

1. yes and no. Yes, the SSD seems to be removable, but i doubt that third party solutions would come anywhere close to the performance of the apple one. also take a look at the ifixit teardown. the ssd is very custom
    2. stick with the base GPU, its more than powerful enough for your needs.

do you currently have a 15 in?

3. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Clint_Barton, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

To be quite honest you should be fine with your current machine unless you need faster than your already very fast ssd speeds, a better screen, and slightly faster processer, it seems to me that unless you are experiencing slowdowns. Keep your current matchine for another year till the price drops.

5. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

but... touch bar....

6. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

I know, but other than the *ooh shiny* factor, what would you actually use it for?

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

And the option for Thunderbolt-3 dock. Single cable for display, data and power will be like heaven.