Questions abou 2016 MBPs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Texas_Toast, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

When will Apple start selling the next generation of MacBook Pros?

I was hoping to buy a current 2015 MBP, so how do I know I am buying that one and not any new ones?

Is there any compelling reason to buy a 2016 MBP?

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

If you want to buy a current model, that's what the Apple Store and retailers like Best Buy are selling today. It's expected that Apple will announce and ship new models in the coming weeks, but availability and specs are not yet available. One thing is certain about the as-yet-unanounced models - they might be better. :)

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

If I try to buy a MBP in the next week from Apple's website, will I be able to get the 2015 model if that is what I decide is best for my needs?

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I think you might be confusing the "model year" with the "manufactured year."

For example, the current retina Macbook Pro came out in May 2015, and thus is generally known as the "2015 model."

A retina Macbook Pro that you might buy this week will have been manufactured sometime in 2016 -- maybe even just a few weeks ago -- but that doesn't make it a "2016 model."

When the newest version is announced, which may be soon, it will be referred to as the "2016 model."

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

First off, you know that no one here knows the answer to your first question, right?

Secondly, the answer to your third question is also something no one here knows the answer to as that machine has yet to be released.

Your second question, however, is pretty simple. Apple hasn't released a new MacBook Pro model this year; the SKUs are identical to what they were this time last year. Therefore, if you buy a MacBook Pro today, you're getting the model that was introduced last year. If the rumors of a redesign are true, you will be immediate able to tell what generation it is because it will look different. If the rumors of a redesign are not true, then you can tell by going to "About This Mac".

6. Pirate515 macrumors member

IMO, at this point, the best thing would be to wait until Apple announces new models. If you are looking for the latest and the greatest, you should have it soon enough, and likely for the same price as what's being sold today. If what is announced is not appealing enough, you should be able to get the 2015 model for less (Apple usually discounts older models once new ones are out).

7. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

I thought I heard there was going to be an announcement this week?

What I was asking is when the new model of MBPs come out, will they also sell the 2015 models, or will all of those new ones disappear from the Apple website?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    Should that be in a couple of weeks, or not until late September or October?

I have been nursing my broken 2012 MBP with an external HDD for the last month, and I seriously need a new MBP and to get all of my data consolidated on the new laptop and then cloned before I have another issue.

I can wake a couple of weeks, but not a month...

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The announcement this week is for iPhone and maybe watch, some computer stuff may be announced or it may not, no one knows.

Apple rarely keep the old versions on sale when they introduce new ones, however it will be easy to tell what you are buying, they will be a new design anyway from all rumours and reports.

Again when the new ones will actually be available to buy is currently unknown.

9. dangerfish macrumors 6502

The 2015 models will likely still be available on the refurb store and will cost less than they do today. However, I don't think we will see the new models announced next week. I think we're going to see some pretty big updates that will deserve their own event. Even if you don't want the new Models, I would wait until they are announced because prices on the old models will drop.

10. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You will not be able to get a BTO (Build to Order) 2015 MBP after the new MBPs are released. That means you will not be able to order a 2015 MBP with a 1 Tb flash storage from Apple.

11. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

@CoastalOR in your opinion is there any compelling reason for me to wait?

Every day I don't have a new laptop it is delaying me working on my business and getting some new clients.

In my opinion, a 2015 MBP with 1TB SSD would be a big improvement over my 2012 MBP with broken internal HDD and a tethered external HDD.

As long as I have a decent processor, RAM and storage - that will last me for 3 years - I am good.

Normally I tend to be a late-adopter, but if you guys think the new 2016 MBP will have 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD and run for 20 hours on battery, then I'd probably wait! :)

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will have a 32gb option I believe but I expect only in the 15 inch you never specify a size. It will possibly have bigger ssd's maybe using 3D nand, battery life will be better by an hour or so would be my guess.

If your current computer is losing you money buy a new one that's just business 101.

13. killawat macrumors 65816

Same advice as always. If you can wait, do so, if you need one now (and it sounds like you do) run out and buy one. The most we can hope for next week is that they're even announced, most everything regarding availability points to Q4 so October, Nov. Can you wait that long? And what if its not released then either?

14. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

My bad. I am getting a 13" retina.

How hard do you think it would be for me to upgrade from an Apple 1TB SSD in the 13" retina to a larger Apple SSD down the road?

It's not that simple. If I spend $2,500 and then find out waiting a month would get me a MBP that is superior, I just threw away a lot of money.

I suspect that a 2015, 13" retina MBP with 16 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD will be vastly better than what I have now, and good enough for what I need it for right now.

But I figured I better ask before I buy something next Tuesday!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the response. No, the latest I could wait would be the 2nd or 3rd week in September. October and November are way too late.

I thought maybe after Labor Day the news ones would be announced and available imemdiately - sounds like it is more of a wait.

15. killawat macrumors 65816

Anything is possible but it's highly unlikely. Like I said the rumor mill (which is the best we have to go on at this point) is conflicted as to whether or not macs will even be present at the sept event. You also have to contend with very low stock in the initial run, the first retina 2012s were delayed out I think 3-4 weeks very quickly after the initial ordering period.

Keep in mind I, and many others are waiting patiently for this new machine (i've been waiting nearly a year) since USB-C and Thunderbolt3 are worth it, but who knows when it will be readily available.

16. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Go to the front page of Macrumors and read everything posted this week. When you do, you'll see that the rumors suggest that only the new Apple Watch and iPhone models will get an announcement this week. iPads may not get anything until next year and Macs are unlikely to make an appearance at all.

Again, no one on here knows! The only machine that tends to have long transitions (wherein the old model is sold side-by-side with the new one is the 13" MacBook Pro; case-in-point, the 2012 non-retina model is STILL being sold today).

Again, no one here knows. Read the front page of MacRumors; they're expected by early October, but even that isn't a guaranteed certainty.

Why don't you just go, buy another hard drive or, better yet, a solid state drive? It's seriously easy to install and it will buy you tons more time for not that much money. Stupid simple.

17. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Because my HDD cable is bad, and when it died it corrupted my internal HDD. I was able to recover the data, but it is not spread across two machine. My 2012 is falling apart - 4 holes in bottom where feet came out, holes in the keys, bad keys, dim monitor, etc.

This machine isnt worth rebuilding.

Makes more sense to get a new machine and transfer over the data and start fresh.

And as long as a 2015 is good enough for my needs, then that is what I will buy.

Based on what has been said, I don't think waiting is worth it - especially since my usb cable just caught my hand and bloop, i just crashed my old mac!

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That only applies if the new one gives an advantage, you don't state what you use it for so its difficult to judge wether a better gpu and a tb3 will be of use to you, although the screens may be worth the wait if the last few new screens by apple are anything to go by.

19. theluggage macrumors 68030

You sound like you needed a new computer a year ago... (What have you been doing to the poor thing?)

Personally - yes, since you've waited this long, I'd wait until after Tuesday just in case but its 90% certain that it will just be iPhone and Watch so don't hold your breath.

Bear in mind that:

Even the "old" 2015 model will blow your 2012 model out of the water with its display quality and speed - the CPU and graphics will be measurably better, but the night-and-day difference in general use comes from the SSD. Normally, I'd say you could squeeze another year out of your 2012 by putting a SSD in it, but since it sounds like its being held together by duct tape and good intentions, maybe not. The 2015 model will be a decent upgrade for you.

The new model, when it arrives, is not going to be twice as fast, half the size, have 5x the storage or otherwise make the 2015 model look like an antique typewriter. The "skylake" CPUs are only a modest improvement on the old ones. It should be a bit better all round but its not going to be dramatic. There might also be some compromises - Apple may decide to "improve" the keyboard by adopting the ultra-thin MacBook design or make other changes which are a matter of taste.

Its likely (but not certain) that the most significant change on the new model will be the replacement of some or all or of the existing ports with combined Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. This is good "long-term" as USB-C is likely to be the emerging standard for connecting everything from disc drives to displays, but in the short term be prepared to spend a small fortune on adapters for your existing equipment (esp. Thunderbolt 1/2 stuff which will need a $100 adapter).

So, while the current model is a bit overdue for an update, its not the lemon that some people would have you believe - and if its destined for the same treatment that your 2012 got I wouldn't worry about whether it will still be viable in 5-6 years' time, since it will probably be scrap by then.

Why not get a refurb 2015 model and save a few bucks so it won't feel like it has "depreciated" so much when the new model comes out?

20. alexdc macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that although the 2015 models may not be sold directly in Apple Stores, sites like www.bhphotovideo.com will still sell various 2015 configurations and models brand new and tax free (as long as your shipping address is outside of NY state.) At the very least whatever remaining supply they have in stock. I always order through them anyways to avoid sales tax.

21. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502

Texas_Toast

Indeed.

Nothing. It's just that Apple make shoddy products.

This is my second MacBook and both have disintegrated in 3 years.

On the first one, the plastic case broke to pieces like a cracked egg.

On this one, all of the rubber feet have fallen off - so I have 4 open holes into my BP. Keys have missing chips in them. Spacebar sticks. Battery is shot. Monitor is extremely dim. HDD cable failed and trashed my HDD.

When I owned PCs, I never had to replace one because the physical machine had fallen apart. It was always due to needing a faster machine. And my PC laptops lasted on average 5-8 years.

Apple needs to stop being so greedy and build better products (and pay their US taxes).

Macs are indeed superior to PCs, but they are not nearly as good as they could be if Apple took a little more pride in things...

Okay.

That is my hope and thinking.

That is exactly what I needed to hear.

True. (To be clear, I do NOT abuse my MacBook Pro - it is just poorly designed.)

Are there any risks to do that?

Could I get a refurb with 16GB RAM and 1TB Apple SSD?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Excellent idea!!!

(I love B&H - very reliable!)

22. theluggage macrumors 68030

Look for the Apple Refurbished store in the small print at the bottom of the Apple web page & see what they have available. From what I've heard, they arrive like new.

23. akidd macrumors regular

24. happygodavid macrumors member

happygodavid

Here's my two cents: If you need a computer now but want the latest model, you could buy a refurb now and sell it when the new ones come out. Refurbs are completely fine. They gut them, bring them up to like-new condition, and resell them with a 1 yr warranty (and they have the option of Apple Care). Or just keep the refurb! :)