Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I'm considering to buy the soon-to-be-updated 13" rMBP, and I have a couple of questions before I can decide whether to buy or not.

Web design
How is it to do web design on an rMBP? Will it be troublesome to make a non-Retina web page on the rMBP? Is there need to frequently check out a web page on a non-Retina display?

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Is the whole Adobe CS6 package updated to support Retina screens? And how is it to make web elements @200% in Photoshop (I guess the 1:1 scale will be too tiny to work with)? Is it very pixelated, or is it tolerable?

In addition to a 27" iMac
Do some of you people have both an rMBP and a 27" iMac? If yes, how is it to switch from the rMBP to the iMac? Will it be plain boring to look at the iMac's display after being used to the rMBP's display?

I really consider an rMBP (I use an MBA right now) as a portable machine where I can work on the go, but have a 27" iMac as main machine. And I don't really want a device that takes away the joy to sit in front of my iMac, which I mostly do my work on.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jcgr96

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Well i have a 27 inch imac and the rmbp (15 inch) and they're both amazing. The iMac wont look boring or anything, its still a good display. as you must know, the retina display sounles pixels and look like a non retina but sharper. I have done Web desing in my rmbp and theres no problem at all. CS6 is all ported too

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I don't miss anything screen wise between my rmbp and iMac.

I use my rmbp when working out on the road or when I want to sit on my recliner.

Most of the time I am on my iMac because I want the larger screen real estate.

Regardless of the quality of the screen, working on a 27 inch screen is not the same experience as working on a 13/15 inch screen.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Well i have a 27 inch imac and the rmbp (15 inch) and they're both amazing. The iMac wont look boring or anything, its still a good display. as you must know, the retina display sounles pixels and look like a non retina but sharper. I have done Web desing in my rmbp and theres no problem at all. CS6 is all ported too

I don't miss anything screen wise between my rmbp and iMac.

I use my rmbp when working out on the road or when I want to sit on my recliner.

Most of the time I am on my iMac because I want the larger screen real estate.

Regardless of the quality of the screen, working on a 27 inch screen is not the same experience as working on a 13/15 inch screen.
Thank you both for replies! But how well is the 13" version working with the Adobe software, out from the fact that it lacks a discrete GPU? Hopefully, it'll be upgraded with an Iris Pro—or even a discrete GPU—next week.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Thank you both for replies! But how well is the 13" version working with the Adobe software, out from the fact that it lacks a discrete GPU? Hopefully, it'll be upgraded with an Iris Pro—or even a discrete GPU—next week.

I have lag when using Lightroom, do not know if it has to do with the size of the raw files (30 megabytes) or if it is another factor. I wouldn't be surprise if it isn't processing power. Camera being used is a Nikon D52.

Photoshop I haven't noticed any issues at all and when it comes to coding, Xcode and Sublime Text 3 works fine for me.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I have lag when using Lightroom, do not know if it has to do with the size of the raw files (30 megabytes) or if it is another factor. I wouldn't be surprise if it isn't processing power. Camera being used is a Nikon D52
You probably need to define "lag". Generally, in the context of the rMBP it has to do with image display "stuttering". I edit heavy RAW files in LR as well and there is a delay while it builds a preview but nothing more. That's normal.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
You probably need to define "lag". Generally, in the context of the rMBP it has to do with image display "stuttering". I edit heavy RAW files in LR as well and there is a delay while it builds a preview but nothing more. That's normal.

When I switch to the file or when I zoom in to do some retouching it pauses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.