Questions about 1Password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shaun.P, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hello!

I've just recently came across the software 1Password and I was thinking of purchasing a copy.

However, before I do I was wondering if someone that uses the software could answer this questions:

• How am I able to access my passwords when I am using a public computer - i.e. machines at the library? Can I log into a website to find out my passwords?
    • I noticed there is a 1Password app for the iPhone. Is there a free version of this if you buy the version for Mac? Do I need to buy this in order to have my passwords on-the-go?

Thanks for your help. It seems like an interesting piece of software.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

1Password needs to be installed on the computer to use it. I wouldn't dream of using 1Password on a public computer.

3. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

you can export an html page that is encrypted and either keep it on a flashdrive or webspace like dropbox or mobileme. the feature is called 1password anywhere. the iphone software does cost money

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Passwords are local. I'd think twice before I utilized a service that housed them online no matter how encrypted and secure they claim their, your data may be.

5. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

i use the mac 1password in conjunction with the iphone and ipad as well as with mobileme. it works absolutely great. because each of those 4 services requires a different password

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. I love 1password, but I'll keep it on my own mac and nowhere else, thanks very much. (I would put it on my iphone too, but I much prefer msecure on the iphone)

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I haven't tried this yet, but supposedly you can keep certain files from your 1Password on, say, a flash drive, and you load the html file. It requires your password and then allows you to go to any of the websites that you have stored.

It doesn't require a centralized server or anything.

Right now, I use 1Password for the iPhone to see my password, and if I'm at a public computer, just type it in from there.

8. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Can I use 1Password anywhere on a computer without 1Password installed? For example - I might occasionally use a public machine that doesn't let you install any software.

So basically if you buy the iPhone version you can take the information from 1Password on your Mac anywhere you go? Or is the iPhone version merely for keeping track of your passwords when you are browsing the internet on your iPhone?

There reason I am asking these question is that if I decide to start using 1Password all my passwords will be impossible to memorise.

Therefore, if I happen to be away from my home computer I need a way of still accessing my passwords without installing 1Password on another machine.

9. MattMacs macrumors newbie

Haven't tried, don't know, but I'm using 1Password on my Mac(s), my iPhone and my iPad, using Dropbox to sync them.... Lovin' it :)

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you are concerned about security you would never dream of opening something with ALL of your secure passwords on a public computer.

The iPhone app syncs with your desktop version so you can take all of your passwords with you.

11. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

The iphone app lets you look up your passwords as needed. Accessing your passwords on a public computer would be tantamount to writing your ATM PIN on your forehead so you don't forget it.

12. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Thanks for all your help guys.

I think I'm gonna buy it.

Thanks again,

Shaun.

13. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

I have purchased 1Password for my Mac, and its been worth every penny. I do need to buy it again for my windows machine, and iPhone, when the white one arrives, but have no qualms in paying for it again for these devices, its a worthy investment, saves time, secure, and easy to configure. I have my config file in my dropbox, which lets me use the beta easily on my windos machine.