Questions about 2 Iphone household

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gmagnes, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gmagnes macrumors member

I've just ordered an Iphone 4 for my wife, so we'll soon become a 2 Iphone household. Questions:
    1--Will my wife be able to download and use the same apps I have without needing to buy them from Itunes?
    2--Will we be able to separately synch on the same Itunes application?
    3--Will my wife be able to synch with/download to her device the music I've put on Itunes?

Thanks,
    Gerry

2. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but she will have to use your iTunes account. Think of it as a shared account. iTunes allows for up to 5 devices to share an account (though I think maybe that is a limit for computers and the amount of mobile devices is unlimited). This would be the same as you owning an iPad and an iPhone, you'd use the same account and only buy the apps once for use on both devices.

Yes. iTunes keeps track of sync profiles based on the device id so it will keep track of your settings separately. You can also store backups for each device using one iTunes account on the same computer.

Yes. This is the same as apps. If you have DRM'd music (pre iTunes plus) then she will need to have your account name and password to sync it. If it's iTunes+ music then there is no DRM. It should just work seamlessly.

3. gmagnes thread starter macrumors member

Follow Up Question

Thanks Jman for the helpful reply. One more question:
    If I'd like for my wife to synch differently than me (ie, synch some of my apps but not others, synch some of my music but not others), is this also possible using the same account and same iTunes?
    thanks
    Gerry

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Should be - as he mentioned, iTunes will remember them as separate devices. Just hook her's up and then choose what to put on it.

5. gmagnes thread starter macrumors member

Follow Up Question

Disregard--posted this a second time in error:

Thanks Jman for the helpful reply. One more question:
    If I'd like for my wife to synch differently than me (ie, synch some of my apps but not others, synch some of my music but not others), is this also possible using the same account and same iTunes?
    thanks
    Gerry