Questions about 3.0 Beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xolan99, Mar 26, 2009.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Hi, I have two questions about upgrading your phone to the 3.0 beta. I'm thinking of working with someone to get my phone updated to the 3.0 beta but I have a few questions:

1) If a new beta becomes available, do I automatically get that update or does the person with the account have to get it for you, or enable you to do so?

2) I've read that the beta will expire at some point...what happens to your phone when that happens? In other words, when the very last beta is out before GM, does it expire the same day as the GM or a few days/weeks before? If it is before, what do you do with your phone?

3) I'm assuming that whatever beta build you have, it's easy to upgrade to the 3.0 GM version right?

Thanks,

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

1. Updates are manual. They need to be downloaded from the dev center and manually installed.

2. From how 2.0 went, most of the time the next beta came out before the previous expired. However, I know of at least one instance where the beta expired before the new build was seeded. So for a day all the devs had phones that did not work. It just wouldn't work, period. There are tens of thousands of more devices testing 3.0 then there were 2.0 though, so Apple probably won't let that mistake happen again.

3. Should be fine. Worst case scenario, do a full restore as new phone instead of update.

3. xolan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible a dev can deactivate a UID? Do I need to be that dev in order to log onto the site?

I'm basically wondering if it's safe to "buy" a dev spot on ebay so I can get the beta...I don't want to fork over a few bucks and be screwed over by having an expired beta (and not able to get a new one) or by having someone maliciously turn off my phone UID.

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

STAY AWAY from ebay...you are opening yourself up to get what you are so worried about.

Be patient, someone here in these forums will contact you privately and want to know more about you. Why do you want 3.0? What will you do with it? How can you help? Will you report bugs? etc.

If you just want 3.0 to say you have it or think its cool then you are in the wrong place and ebay is probably all you will get.

Help us help Apple and someone will help you but you need to prove your intent.

Good Luck

5. vilim12 macrumors regular

Add Ammar@me.com in your ichat buddy list. He charges 10 bucks and is a great guy to deal with. I messed my phone up and he unlocked it so I could continue using it. Very trustworthy and will even send a pic of your ichat convo on top of his developer list to show you proof.