Questions about 4.2.1 GM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by david77, Nov 20, 2010.

1. david77 macrumors regular

First, when 4.2.1 is actually released, how do update my GM to the actual release? I realize this sounds like a newb question so I apologize in advance.

Second, will Pages,etc have to be updated to allow printing? I thought it was a system wide function ...

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The final release will show up as an update when you check for updates in iTunes with your device connected. (This is how it worked in the past with developer OS versions.)

Apps do need to be updated to support AirPrint. Apple has given developers quite a bit of time to do so. I expect a lot of Apps will have it on day 1.

I think you may have been assuming Apps would just inherit printing from the similarly named AirPlay feature, which is automatically included in apps that use the standard video playback APIs. Printing is a bit different.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

You'll probably want to download the released version from iTunes then restore to it, but chances are 4.2.1 is the official version…hopefully!

Printing is an app-specific feature so look for updates to the iWork apps pretty soon, although Apple are normally slow at updating their own apps.

4. david77 thread starter macrumors regular

5. cecoleman macrumors regular

If you have 4.2 already, it won't tell you there is an update when the final comes out. You'll have to manually download it and hold OPTION key down and hit UPDATE button and then point to your download.