Questions about a 320GB HD in a Rev. B MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnbro23, May 17, 2009.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I asked Exegesis48, one of the MacRumors users, whether I could upgrade my hard drive to 320GB. He had some really helpful suggestions, but I still have a few more questions, so I figured I'd it up to the entire MacRumors community for some different points of view.

I am thinking about getting this hard drive at Newegg.com. Will it definitely be compatible with my Rev. B MBP? Will it be slower or faster than the standard 100GB 7200 rpm drive that came with my MBP? Will I be able to transfer all of my data from my old HD?

Any help is much appreciated. And thanks to Exegesis48 for helping thus far.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Since it runs at 5400 RPM it'll be slower than your standard drive, which runs at 7200 RPM

As for transferring data... back it up to an external HD either through time machine or manually, then load it onto your new drive.

EDIT: As for it fitting your MBP, looks fine to me.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It'll run slower if you're going to look at benchmarks. However, due to the higher density and newer technology, it'll either run at the same or somewhat faster than your current 100GB 7200RPM.

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses...just one more question: how do I copy the data from my old hard drive to my new hard drive? I only have one External HD which is 320GB. There's about 200GB of data on my External HD that I want to keep intact, but I have enough room to move all of my stuff from my local HD to the external one. Can I partition the old one, clone the local drive to the external, then transfer the clone back to the new laptop drive?