Questions about a possibly jailbroken iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by andyx3x, Jun 22, 2012.

1. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I bought an At&t iPhone 4S tonight off Craigslist strictly for the purpose of going to Straight Talk. I'm a complete newb when it comes to the jailbreaking issue.

Anyway, the phone I bought clearly has been jailbroken before because it has some different looking things on the phone than the default version. The guy I bought the phone from says he restored it but if he did, all these different things should be gone right? The phone should look like it does right out of the box, correct?

My question is can the phone not be jailbroken but still have these different things left behind? Like a different looking keypad, a different looking app store, an app called Passbook installed, a totally different menu when emailing pictures.

If the phone is still jailbroken, where is the Cydia app?

Thanks for any help.

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Correct, the phone should be as it came out of the box after a factory restore. It actually sounds like he installed a beta version of iOS 6, judging by the different keypad and the Passbook app. I could be completely wrong. Do you have a screenshot?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not plug it to itunes and restore it to the latest 5.1.1

4. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't believe I didn't catch this, but it does say 6.0 in software version. A clerk at the Apple store told me when I showed it to him that it was jailbroken. Apparently he hasn't seen iOS 6 yet.

5. andyx3x, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm having problems doing this. I get the error message "there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. The requested resource was not found."

Any tips on how to get past this? There is no sim card in the phone. Does this matter in restoring from 6.0 to 5.1.1? Update, I'm getting the error message with and without a sim card in the phone.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Try a custom restore. Manually download the latest 5.1.1 build online, like from Felixbruns. Save it to your computer. Hold OPTION as you click on 'Restore' and restore to that firmware.

7. andyx3x thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone. I was able to get my iPhone 4S back to 5.1.1