Questions About A Recedntly Bought iPhone 3G 8GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goftrey, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey guys, I just bought an iPhone 3G 8GB for £100 earlier today, (thats $150 to you guys across the pond).

I was wondering if it was worth getting it in 2011, prior to the release of the iPhone 5 & iOS 5?

How does it perform on iOS 4.2.1?

What's the best video recording app available?

And if there's any iPhone 3G users out there that can give their opinion on the experience of having one of these.

Cheers dudes and dudettes :')

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you just plan on using it as a phone and consider mobile Safari and applications and such as a plus it should fit you well. 4.2.1 returns the speed of 3.1.3, but you get the benefits of iOS 4. My dad still uses his 3G to this day although I downgraded it for him because it kept running out of RAM for his applications.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey bud, I'm a fellow iPhone 3G user. I've had mine since launch day in '08. I can tell you now, that it's an absolutely garbage phone in todays time.

It will take you minutes to load things on iOS 4.2.1, but iOS 3.1.3 isn't all that better either.
    You cannot record videos on the iPhone 3G unless you jailbreak it.

To be very honest, i didn't like the iPhone 4 design, and i thought that i could live without the iPhone 3GS. Hence, i'm waiting for the iPhone 5 now.
    Boy, was i wrong. If you want the cheapest but most efficient iPhone, get an iPhone 3GS, it's a day and night difference performance wise compared to the iPhone 3G.

My recommendation would be, spend the extra for an iPhone 5 and enjoy your device. Or if you don't want to spend so much/get into a plan, buy the iPhone 3GS. You can't go wrong with that device.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy your future iPhone! feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions!

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There are applications on the app store that allow you to record video on the 3G. My dad owns one.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to agree that the 3G is no longer a viable model unless you have very basic use and don't plan on using the more updated features provided by the 3GS or 4 as well as no interest in the latest apps. I would say the 3GS would be the lowest I would go although certainly the IPhone 4 will take better advantage of iOS 4 and soon 5. If your budget allows then you might want to wait for the new model supposedly being announced and released next month.

6. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking to use it, obviously as a phone, aswell as an iPod, and a portable game player... How does it compare to an iPod Touch 2nd Gen? I used to have one of them before I dropped it in the sea -.-

Also, how well does it fair while playing Call Of Duty Zombies?

Thanks again :p

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If you just want to use it as a phone and as an iPod, then it's great. But again, anything CPU heavy is not recommended for the iPhone 3G.

I.e forget about CoD:Zombies