Questions about accessing data from old drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kat.hayes, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I am trying to access data from a 10-12 yr old IDE drive that I used with a PC way back when. I place it in an enclosure, and when connected, receive a message via Lion (see attached). Anyone have any idea if the drive may work when connected to a modern PC? Did Windows 10-12 years ago use some system that makes drives not recognizable with Macs OR are the drives just likely bad?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

It will almost certainly be the formatting of the drive that is the issue. Connect it to a PC running Windows and you should be able to read it. You might have to find an older PC though.

Stewart

3. Loa macrumors 68000

Loa

Hello,

If the drive still physically works (can't know from what you've told us), and was formatted using FAT or NTFS, it should mount on Lion.

But my guess is you'd be able to get more info if you tried mounting it on a pc, preferably a pc using an older OS (early windows, or even DOS if you can use it).

Loa

4. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both drives that I'm trying to access data from were making clicking sounds and were not acknowledged by my Mac. I placed both of them in the freezer overnight (based on info I read online) and the clicking stopped and this message appeared, though they never mounted. This is why I'm wondering if the drives are just bad OR it has something to do with old Windows formatting that the Macs do not recognize. I do not have a PC and do not know anyone running Windows 98. Maybe it is time to just take a hammer to the drives?

Thanks.

5. goMac macrumors 603

The drives sound like they are probably dead.

6. Stewart21 macrumors regular

If you are thinking of taking a hammer to them you don't need the data on them so why not reformat them?

7. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Cause that's more fun than trying to find a use for a 10GB hard drive with outdated interface?

8. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, actually 14GB :) and in addition to the outdated interface, they are still defective because they click,freezing them just temporarily stops the clicking long enough to supposedly being able to transfer data off them. Though if I'm going to throw them away I'm definitely going to take a hammer to them just in case.