Questions about Activation Lock

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by PopsicleWeasle, Feb 13, 2014.

1. PopsicleWeasle macrumors newbie

When I was napping, someone stole my iPhone. When I realized it was gone, I used FMi to play a sound and get a general location from it. I got an email saying the sound was played, so I know that signal went through.

Two hours later, my phone was offline and I pushed Play Sound and Lost Mode signals to the phone, but they remained pending until this morning.

When I woke up today, the device was no longer in my iCloud "My Devices" and I had no new emails about the phone. I have to assume that someone broke into my iCloud account.

I have since changed my password in the hopes that someone would need it to reactivate my device, but I'm afraid that because it was "unhooked" from my iCloud account, that it won't notify me if it is turned on again.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? I'm desperate to get my phone back, but it seems less and less likely everyday.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It seems you won't get it back.

How did it get stolen while you were napping?

3. kevroc macrumors 6502

If you try to turn off "Find my iPhone", it prompts for the account password. The only way someone could do unhook it is if they know your password. That's the whole point, someone steals your phone but can't reactivate it because it's password locked and only you know the password. There are a lot of those on sale on ebay.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unless they are perhaps somehow doing it in a way similar to what's described at http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/06/disable-find-my-iphone/

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Actually there is a way. DFU restore the phone. The trick is that it doesn't turn off the server side part of activation lock (so long as you don't hit the 'remove from account' link)

Bunch of folks on various forums figured this out when iOS 7 first launched

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Actually if you DFU restore a device it wil ask for the previous icloud details still if it was not logged out before the restore.