Questions about adding 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ramw5p, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ramw5p macrumors member

Sep 29, 2010
    Hi I have the current version MBP...want to add windows for those few programs that dont run in macs :(. Few questions

1. I have a student account, can i use the download version and install with it, or do i need the cd/dvd?

2. Is bootcamp all i need, it will guide me through??

3. Without a cd/dvd will time machine backup my copy of windows to? I am thinking about going to a bigger HDD, will time machine mirror my entire drive, and when i install new drive make it like the current, including windows?

thanks for the help
  2. ramw5p thread starter macrumors member

Sep 29, 2010
  3. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2010
    You can download a .iso and burn it to DVD if you'd like, you need a DVD to install Windows.
    Bootcamp splits your hard disk drive into two: one part for Mac and one for Windows.
    You can install windows by entering the Windows DVD and reboot while holding ALT/Option when the startup chime plays.
    Then you can select the DVD and install Windows.

One tip: install Windows on the part where it says BOOTCAMP if you have to select a location or disk. If you choose the other, you'll basically overwrite Mac OS X.
    Lastly, at Time Machine. I don't know; I don't use it. Sorry 'bout that.