Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramw5p

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hi I have the current version MBP...want to add windows for those few programs that dont run in macs :(. Few questions

1. I have a student account, can i use the download version and install with it, or do i need the cd/dvd?

2. Is bootcamp all i need, it will guide me through??

3. Without a cd/dvd will time machine backup my copy of windows to? I am thinking about going to a bigger HDD, will time machine mirror my entire drive, and when i install new drive make it like the current, including windows?

thanks for the help

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
You can download a .iso and burn it to DVD if you'd like, you need a DVD to install Windows.
Bootcamp splits your hard disk drive into two: one part for Mac and one for Windows.
You can install windows by entering the Windows DVD and reboot while holding ALT/Option when the startup chime plays.
Then you can select the DVD and install Windows.

One tip: install Windows on the part where it says BOOTCAMP if you have to select a location or disk. If you choose the other, you'll basically overwrite Mac OS X.
Lastly, at Time Machine. I don't know; I don't use it. Sorry 'bout that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.