Questions about Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesryanbell, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Yes, I searched. I just want to be clear on a few specific things.

1) I upgraded the HD on my refurb MBP last year. I'm still in the first year of purchase, but I only have about 3 weeks left to purchase Applecare. Do they do anything stupid regarding the fact that the HD isn't the factory issued drive? If I have a HD failure, I wouldn't send it in anyway.....but say the logic board goes bad.....would they pull the "it's modified, so it's not our fault" card on me, and void it bc I changed the hard drive? SURELY not, but I thought I'd ask.

2) Regarding purchasing AppleCare elsewhere: Is it smarter to buy it from a trusted eBay seller/Amazon/authorized Mac online store for less money? How does that affect the registration process? IS THERE ANY DOWNSIDE TO DOING THIS?

Thanks a ton for any help. :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

1) I was once told by an Apple Genius that as long as the hard drive was not the 'thing' causing the problem then Apple Care would still cover your computer.

2) Um not to sure.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

1) You can replace your HDD and not void your warranty. This is the case as far as I understand in all unibody MBPs. Not sure about earlier ones.
    2) You should buy from a trusted eBay seller but that is not to say that they did not get their status by selling a ton of ******** AppleCare codes. You see, AC can be registered and likely go through but it is months later that people have found their AC to be void.

Like GGJstudios said, you'll likely get a more in-depth answer if you search the previous threads where these topics are discussed.

5. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I searched, and I didn't find the EXACT answer I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The EXACT answers are in the threads I posted, found with a simple MRoogle search.

7. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I appreciate the links. Seriously. But the reason I still asked is that after reading, it was still vague on whether it was the general consensus to purchase aftermarket or not. Hence, I posted again rather even chancing reading through tons of threads that tons of other people have already read. That's a waste of time if I can just ask 'what conclusion have most of you come to'? Quick, now, and to the point.

:)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... and you'll get exactly the same kind of responses in those threads, with no consensus. There are varying opinions posted, no matter how many times you post redundant threads. You won't get any different response here than you would find in dozens of existing threads, where this topic has been beaten to death.

That's why the Forum Rules say to search before posting, and if you find an existing thread on the topic, post there, rather than starting a new thread.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Regarding applecare - where ever you buy it, you need to be sure you get the box. Any vendor (especially on ebay) that only provides that codes will not do. All to often people have counterfeited the applecare codes and many times apple will call for the serial # down the road. No box, no serial number, no warranty.

Basically if you see applecare being sold for a 150 and apple sells it for 350, something's wrong. The old adage, if its too good to be true, then it probably is

10. lovemacs macrumors member

I've read and participated in another thread about this, but have yet to see any real proof about the fake AppleCare codes theory. A number generator is too far fetched as the codes need to be activated in Apple's system before being put out for use. How do these no-box AppleCare get into circulation, and if it is fake, why isn't Apple more proactive about shutting it down?

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not sure of the inner working of Applecare, having never brought it, but could the seller on eBay not just sell the same code again and again?

12. lovemacs macrumors member

Once a code is registered to a computer, it cannot be reused.

13. hypermog macrumors regular

If you buy from ebay, there is always a chance it's a scam. See here.

I would buy from Amazon, it's cheaper, no tax for most, but totally reputable.

14. lovemacs macrumors member

There are a few people who had problems buying from eBay, but they probably purchased the AppleCare from a foreign seller with hardly any feedback. If you buy from a US Top-Rated seller with lots of good feedback, you are probably ok buying on eBay.