Questions about Australia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by juanm, Apr 24, 2007.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

Hi there!

My girlfriend an I are preparing a trip to Australia with the one year working holiday visa.
    I'd like to focus specially on photography, so I had a question in particular: What's the price of a DVD+R in Australia? I'll be doing regular backups of my pictures during the travel, and sending them to my family (who will do a couple of copies more: yes, I'm a backup freak) and I wanted to know the local prices.

We'll go pretty much everywhere (we're buying a car), so do you have any ideas or suggestions for our route? Hint: we're both divers with quite some experience, and by then, I'll have my brand new Nikon D200 housing, but we won't focus only on diving... Ningaloo reef is already on the "to visit" list, for instance.

Thanks in advance for your answers...

2. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

I get DVD- in spindles of 100 for AU$49.95 (DVD+ same cost).
    Not sure what smaller bundles cost.

Go North may to september (the dry season and HOT)
    Go south september to april (spring/summer/autumn)

On the west coast..........
    Swimming with the whale sharks at ningaloo will be good.
    While your in that area check out monkey mia in the shark bay area.
    Wild dolphins come in for daily visits.
    Broome, King Sound area, Bungle Bungle National Park.

East Coast.....
    Great Barrier reef (hurry it wont be there much longer)..........
    And there are some killer jellyfish etc up north so check when it's safe to swim.

It's a huge place. Get a map and plan it.
    When you're up the west coast or Northern Territory Carry a lot of water, maybe a couple of 20 litre containers. People get lost or their vehicle breaks down off the main road and they die.

If you are going of the main roads let the local police know destination and ETA. They will check you got there.

This is a reasonable site for information
    http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=10&iCountryId=163

Sounds dangerous but with a bit of planning it's a good trip.
    I've been around the coast on a motorcycle (five and a half weeks-13,500km)
    Have a good time:D

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was in Coral Bay last June, which was incredibly exciting! Western Australia is the bomb s***!!! :eek: It is the highlight of Australia, I think. That, and Tasmania.

(I have lived here for 3 years now)

4. AVID macrumors member

AVID

i'd recommend tasmania, small beautiful - go in spring

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'll also throw in another vote for Tasmania, quite easily one of the most beautiful places on earth. The Freycinet Peninsula is breath taking as is Cradle Mountain and the surrounding national parkland. If you're going to have a car, there is actually a ferry that departs from Sydney or Melbourne that lets you take your car across.

If you're doing anything in Victoria, than the Great Ocean Road is a an absolute must. Plenty to do and see along the way and many stunning bits of coastline. It's also on the way to/from Adelaide which is handy as well. I'd also recommend some of the old gold mining towns like Ballarat and Bendigo - they both have some fantastic period architecture. There's also lots to do in and around Melbourne city (though I'm a little biased :D ). The Dandenong Ranges and the Yarra Valley also have some some really nice drives (and wineries!).

6. hopejr macrumors 6502

If you come to WA, the south west is really nice too (not just up north with all the reefs and gorges, etc, all of which are spectacular). There's Margaret River and Yallingup with the wineries, caves, beaches, etc. Around Pemberton (slightly inland from Margs) are the lookout trees (Gloucester, Bicentennial, Diamond) which are really tall and you can climb up them. Much further inland is Hyden with Wave Rock (haven't been there myself, but I heard it's good).

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unfortunately, word on the street is that the ferry from Sydney no longer exists. If you want to cross over to Tasmania, you need to do it from Melbourne.

But that's no problem from where you live. ;) It's a long ride, though.

8. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your answers! I'll study everything you just said! :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try to buy a local car like a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon (or Toyota LandCruiser if you're going offroad even though it's not locally produced) because they can handle the rougher terrain and climate, plus it's easier to find spare parts for them if/when something goes wrong.

10. mpw Guest

My brother had a Falcon during his rampage across Oz, and it was a rampage him and his friends got a mention in a couple of local papers as they drove across selling dodgy paintings door to door, and they killed a cow, writing-off the Falcon in the process and waking everybody on board up....including the driver.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew