questions about backing up data for a new hard drive installation!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FractalCodec2, Feb 11, 2010.

1. FractalCodec2 macrumors newbie

Hey fellas, I've been looking into this a lot the passed few days, but there are a few answers I just can't find.

First of all, I know how to physically take apart my mac and put the new hard drive in. I have the new hard drive, and the tools I need.

The method I chose (before I looked into how to xfer data using macs) was to use time machine to make a backup of my entire hard drive on an external, which I did successfully.

However, before I take apart my mac and instal the new hard drive, there are a few things I want to be clear on, and I can't find the answers to.

Will I need the leopard OS disc for the new hard drive? Or does time capsule back up the OS as well, and give me some sort of prompt (doubtful)?

I have the pre late 2008 macbook pro, and it came with leopard. I haven't upgraded for several reasons I won't get into. My question now is, should I have the leopard OS disc? SHouldn't something like that have come with my mac? I ask because I feel like I should have one, but I don't remember getting one and can't find it anywhere. I always keep things like that.

And lastly, if I don't have the leopard OS disc, what do you think is the cheapest way for me to back up and xfer my data?

I have external hard drives, my new hard drive, and my old hard drive. Would it be cheaper for me to buy one of those things that directly xfers the data from one internal drive to another, or to buy another leopard disc? Is there a way I can just order the leopard disc I should have already for cheaper?

Thanks a lot!

2. jlindley macrumors newbie

My personal way of doing this is to:

- disassemble your current external drive
    - replace the current external hard drive with your replacement (new internal drive)
    - boot your computer
    - plug in the new external drive that contains the replacement drive
    - run SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) to clone the drive
    - shutdown the computer
    - remove the old drive
    - install the new drive
    - boot to your new drive everything the same only on the new drive!

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Time Machine

Assuming you have original disks, the Time Machine backup/restore works (I just did this on my Macbook, replacing the 80 gig with a brand new 320 gig)...

Run a Time Machine Backup
    Swap out the drive
    Boot from CD
    Partition the new drive with Disk Utility
    Use the menu option to restore from a Time Machine backup

Your Mac is back!

http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2008/01/restoring-from-time-machine.html