Questions about Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sriteja25, May 16, 2013.

1. Sriteja25 macrumors member

I am going to buy macbook pro 15 inch.
    By searching forums i got to know that bootcamp is must for gamng.
    I want to know details about bootcamp.
    Is it legal and if something happens while using bootcamp will warrenty work.
    How much space should be given for windows if i buy 256 gb ssd macbook pro.
    Will it effect my perfomance of the machine.
    What all softwares do i require to get bootcamp.
    If i dont have cd drive how would i i stall windows.

Some questions may be very silly for some people , as i am buying a laptop for the first time please give me details about these things.

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

No need for duplicate threads, there is a reason they get deleted, and the FAQ can answer that.

Yes, running Windows via Boot Camp is the best solution for running CPU and GPU intensive games.

It is legal and the warranty will not be voided if you use Boot Camp, but Apple will not provide help with Windows related problems.

Depends on how many games you want to install / play and how much storage capacity they use.
    64 GB might be okay, but maybe you need 128 GB.

No, as Windows is run natively and once you boot back into Mac OS X Windows is not running and will not interfere with Mac OS X.

Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder and a Windows installer is all that is needed in the beginning, Boot Camp Assistant will tell you what you need to go further and also download the drivers for Windows and your hardware.

Microsoft offers a Windows USB Download Tool to use a Windows 7 or Windows 8 ISO file with a USB flash memory thumb drive or DVD.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

Booting Windows on the Mac

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. Radiating macrumors 65816

Of course bootcamp is legal, it is a software developed to help you instal windows on a Mac by changing a few settings to make the windows instalation process more straight forward, so you don't have to alter those settings yourself, and by giving you a driver's package ready to go.

It's essentially a concierge for installing windows. Macs are intel PCs which use the exact same hardware as windows PCs. It's as legal as tech support walking you through instaling software.

You will need to BUY a copy of windows though.

Bootcamp is software, so it cannot break your hardware. Bootcamp may encounter crashes and bugs or something you do in bootcamp may erase your hard drive (such as erasing your hard drive on purpose).

If your hardware is deffective it is deffective. Apple will fix it. However Apple only provides limited software support for bootcamp, if you have a software issue on the windows side, they may or may not help you figure out how to change settings and instal drivers and reinstal the whole OS etc. It depends on the mood of the genius.

So warranty yes, support depends.

It's worth mentioning that in the US the only three reasons anyone can void your warranty is intentional damage, damage resulting from use far outside the intended use (meaning extreme cases like using a computer as a frisby, and complaining it breaks when you throw it), or modifications making the product unreasonably difficult to work on (such as welding it shut). In each of these cases the warrantor must prove not just verbalize that you used it for something ridiculous or broke it yourself.

Apple was actually recently sued and lost because they automatically assumed you broke your item and voided the warranty if a water sensor was tripped. So these laws are taken very seriously. If anyone voids your warranty for any other reason it is illegal. You can do whatever you want with your product, have it serviced by whoever you want and instal whatever you want on it.

You can get away with as little as 64GB but if you want to instal anything on top of that you want around 100GB.

No.

You need to buy a copy of windows.

You can do it with a $5 USB flash drive "burned" with a windows 7 ISO downloaded from the microsoft website.

Or you can get a $30 USB external DVD drive. I have done it both ways, it works fine.

Sure thing.