Questions about bootcamp and paralells/vmware fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maubaraf, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Maubaraf, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Maubaraf macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I have a MacbookPro late 2008 running Os X Mavericks 10.9.5. I am considering using bootcamp and creating a partition to install Windows XP only because I'd like to play MTG and there is no other way around it but I am concern about messing up my Mac or virus/malware, etc... so I am basically looking at the safer way to do it. After reading/researching my understanding is:

Windows XP is not suported by Microsoft anymore (updates, etc...) so is going to be a bigger threat than a more modern windows. Nevertheless I have an original windows XP home edition and I'm not willing to buy windows 7 so ideally I'd like to install the XP

I believe that if I'm running Windows through a partition installed by bootcamp as long as I don't install something like MacDrive that allow windows to read the OsX files then my Mac side of the computer should be safe regardless of how much Malware/virus I get, is that correct?

If I use something like paralells then it'd be more risky because paralells allow window to read/write on OsX, but some people claim that when the windows in parallels get infected all you need to do is erase the file and reinstall it

I don't think I'd get any malware/virus because basically all I'll do under windows would be:

Install firefox through mozilla website
    Download the mtg online installer through wizards website
    Play mtg
    Maybe ocasionally visit paypal to buy more cards through the mtg online shop
    The rest of web surfing will be done with the Mac partition

Based on all this, which option do you think is best for me?

Thanks very much for your help

Cheers

2. Maubaraf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again guys. That was my first time here, after nearly a week I have to say you all have been very, very, very helpful.

I know people are busy and I'm asking for a favor but still I had the hope that out of 92 reads somebody would bother answering me (silly me), after all I did my homework and asked for specific questions.

Even if that wouldn't happen I hoped for an administrator to eventually (I know they're extra busy) answer.

A simple I don't know would have been better than this, thanks a bunch guys :cool:

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

I would personally recommend that you do the following if you insist on using XP:

1) Install VirtualBox and configured it so that it does not share any Mac OS folders with the PC.
    2) Install Window XP in VirtualBox. The account you create during install should be only used for admin functions like updates.
    3) Patch Windows XP immediately all the way to SP 3 and beyond. This will take many, many Windows Update sessions and reboots.
    4) Research services that can be disabled in XP.
    5) Set DNS on the Win XP machine to OpenDNS in TCP/IP settings for the adapter
    6) Install Chrome as browser, enable click-to-play for add-ons, and add AdBlock Extension.
    7) Install BitDefender Free
    8) Create another basic "user" account that will be used for your normal XP login.
    9) Do not install anything else other than your game in XP and never browse the web in XP (especially never even open IE other than for Windows Updates).