Questions About BootCamp and Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ExWhiteWolf, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ExWhiteWolf macrumors newbie

Ok, so I was planning on getting Windows on my Mac ever since I was planning on buying a Mac. However, I keep reading that you need a Disc drive to install Windows. Can you install it digitally or do you have to buy a disc?

Also which version of Windows should I get if I plan to mostly just play games on it with the occasional need it for a program?

And is it actually really hard to get Windows on a Mac? I keep reading that mouse, keyboard, and sound usually don't work. That people just give up on downloading Windows.

Finally for BootCamp I have to download the latest one right? I'm buying the most recent 15" Macbook Pro Retina.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

For Macs that don't have a built-in optical drive, which is pretty much all of them nowadays, you can use an 8 GB or larger USB flash drive (USB 2.0 drives work better than USB 3.0 ones) to install Windows. All you need is a Windows .iso file, and Boot Camp Assistant can create the bootable drive along with downloading the necessary drivers that will allow the Mac's keyboard, trackpad and other hardware to function.

Windows 8.1 works best with the Retina display. You can purchase it directly from Microsoft and have access to the .iso file needed to create the installer on a flash drive.

Everything is fairly self-explanatory. Run Boot Camp Assistant, let it create the installer and download the drivers, partition your hard drive, and go from there.

Boot Camp Assistant is built in to OS X. There is nothing to download to start the process of partitioning your drive. That only comes into play when obtaining the Windows drivers for your machine.

3. ExWhiteWolf thread starter macrumors newbie

So when do I use the USB? And where do I get the .iso file from the digital download or disc? And if its from the digital how do you get it? I read that the digital only gives you the .exe file which Mac can't run.