Questions about buying O2 iPhone for Unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kardashian, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm buying an O2 iPhone on the 9th, provided some of you can maybe re-assure me on a few points.

I wanted to create one thread where I could get all my quesions answered.. as there as so many iPhone threads out there, even the search feature confuses me!

Basically, I want to know/would like some valid guesses on:

1. Will all Carphone Warehouse stores stock the iPhone on the 9th? I live in a relativley small town, and they normally have everything in stock. Just checking larger city-located stores weren't getting priority. Maybe some of you work for CPW and know?

2. Being a UK iPhone, I'm guessing the software will be slightly different to that of a US phone. Phone numbers and such are displayed differently. I'm pretty sure I've seen some threads about changing a .pref file or something on the US-iPhones that changes the number formatting to the UK style (ie: 01234 567890). Does this mean the unlock method already out there for 1.1.1 phones might not work due to some changes to the software?

3. Where do I go to get the 1.1.1 unlocked? From what I understand, there are 2 versions: one, which damages the base band, and a second one which will allow future upgrade and unlocking (iPhone firmware hacking permitting, of course..).

4. (Last of all, thankfully). Should the iPhone be un-unlockable, ie: the method used on US phones does not work on the UK ones - can we get a refund?

I know for a fact O2 will not accept me on a contract (we live at a blacklisted address after my parents very much divorce, and for some reason, Vodafone and O2 hate me now because of this!) - so my only option would be to use it unlocked on my amazing T-Mobile contract.

But, Carphone Warehouse do not offer any cash refunds - no matter what. They simply offer and exchange or in-store credit. I don't want to be left with a £260 credit note, when I want the iPhone.

Anyway, I would really appreciate your answers/opinions.

Thanks in advance :)

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Get on the train and visit your nearest o2 or Apple store.

I dont like carphonewarehouse too, and even though they are my nearest store on the 9th i will be going into the o2 store to grab one!

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Nearest ones are Birmingham. I'm on the seaside in Wales.. so I'd have a lot travelling! Maybe I should go on the 10th instead?

Less busy? But.. will they have enough stock?

Don't wanna spend £25 and travel all that way for nothing.. :(

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Im in wales, and i plan to go to an O2 store. At least you can get refunds etc. Its a shame theres no apple store in the south west at all! I'd be happy for on in bristol, cardiff or swansea.

5. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

www.apple.com/uk then?

Just order online from thew luxury of your home and wait a day or two longer?:eek:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. Unlikely. Obtaining a full refund is usually at the discretion of the retailer, usually with the box and product unopened or if the product is faulty... I wouldn't bet on it at all.

7. roblawton macrumors 6502

I think with regards to the questions about unlocking the iPhone, and the software/firmware differences between UK & US iPhones...

We'll have to wait and see. I think no-one knows (apart from El-Jobso) what the differences between the UK and the US versions will be.

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Where do you plan to go? Swansea?

Hmm.. I spose I could. And, that way, I suppose I would almost be guaranteed stock and have the ability to get my money back - should I not be able to unlock it. As I know for a fact, 100%, despite me getting my credit report from Experian and its blank, totally clean - they will not accept me without a £650 'deposit'.

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

CPW, for some reason, do not give cash refunds. And with it being at their discretion, I've more of a chance of hell freezing over.

What do you think:

A) Apple Store or O2 Store in Birmingham on the Friday/Saturday? Will they be likely to have enough stock?
    B) Wait and order from Apple, Online?

As usual BV, thanks for the help :)

10. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

A, there will be plenty in stock.

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Nah, I live in Bridgend, and we've got 2 CPWs and an O2 store. Im going to get one on launch day, even if I have to go to all 3 to find one. But if not, the Apple online store it is!