Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
4.8 seconds uh ? Just the same time my 12k$ cheaper Subaru WRX does it in. When am I supposed to be impressed exactly ? Nurburgring numbers are worthless without a direct comparison with the same driver.

0-60 is mostly about traction, so using it as a main power comparison is silly. ET's and trap speed from the 1/4 mile are much better indicators.

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
I just know my old Tercel does fine in Montreal. I just wish it were higher of the ground in the winter. Don't know about other cars. I do have some credit advice, though. If you have or are able to get an AmEx card where you are, AmEx might open an Canadian American Express card account for you. I know it works the other way - Canada to the US. It gives a great jump start to establishing a credit history if you can do that.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks quagmire. I have looked at the cars you mentioned. As for the BMW and the Audi they look nice, but you do get less for what you pay in compare to the Camaro and the Mustange. I mean in term of accessories and options. a full option Camaro LT1 and Mustange Coupe 2012 are about $39000. for the BMW x-drive sedan, and the audi A4 with quatro its about $42000-$440000 and you get much less options (no navigation..etc). However, i have to admit i have never thought about the AWD, RWD, and FWD. I guess maybe because where i live now its mostly sunny and you never think about that. I will be going to the nearby dealership and check the audi and the bmw, just to see how comfortable they are. See i am a big guy and not sure if the BMW 328 will fit me well :eek:. The Audi A4 looks a bit larger, i will see.

As for the regal turbo. I have to say i am not familiar with this brand. the car looks Ok and you get a lot of options for what you pay, but you don't think that the a V4 is a bit under kill? I mean 4 cylinder will sure save me money but..don't know, it might look a bit immature but i don't want to fall a sleep waiting for the car to speed up from 20 km/hr to 100km/hr :p.

Thanks again.

I have to confess, the reason i am leaning more toward the Camaro and the Mustange is because, i have always bought family type of cars due to different social circumstances, and never was able to buy sporty cars. Now as i am moving on i want to start a new life and get what i want and these two cars were on the top of my list. Do you think i would absolutely regret buying any of these cars? because whatever car i buy, i am planning to keep for at least 6-8 years

If everybody think it is absolutely a mistake to buy Cam/Must. then I will seriously consider the Audi and the BMW mentioned by quagmire.
The BMW is worth looking into. It's a very nice car. A friend of mine has a 335i, I'm very comfy in it and I'm 6'1".

As for the Cam/Must, it might just be my canadian perspective, but I think they look a bit tacky. Not too mention how they'll look in 6 to 8 years...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
0-60 is mostly about traction, so using it as a main power comparison is silly. ET's and trap speed from the 1/4 mile are much better indicators.

I know, hence my comment. ;) The Subarus have wicked 0-60 on account of the traction they bring. However, they are very capable 1/4 cars to, low 13s stock, even better times for the STI. Stock Camaros/Mustangs need not apply (high/mid 13s, for 40k$ in Canada... sheeesh, so much for "American muscle").

I just know my old Tercel does fine in Montreal. I just wish it were higher of the ground in the winter. Don't know about other cars. I do have some credit advice, though. If you have or are able to get an AmEx card where you are, AmEx might open an Canadian American Express card account for you. I know it works the other way - Canada to the US. It gives a great jump start to establishing a credit history if you can do that.

AmEx is a pain to use around these parts. Visa and Mastercard are the only thing you're sure they will take everywhere.

Forget Diner's Club or whatever that other one is.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Japanese cars do hold their value really well, but if you're going to own a car for the long term, resale for me at least won't be a big factor into my decision.

I am surprised Germans hold their value there. They usually depreciate the most here since no one wants to own one out of warranty due to the high maintenance costs.

resale value depends a lot on the used car market and the demand for different types, in much of europe japanese brands apart of toyota have a hard time keeping their value

most extreme example: Lexus in the US holds it's value rather well, in europe they pretty much unsellable so you will be driving it untill it falls apart

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I know, hence my comment. ;) The Subarus have wicked 0-60 on account of the traction they bring. However, they are very capable 1/4 cars to, low 13s stock, even better times for the STI. Stock Camaros/Mustangs need not apply (high/mid 13s, for 40k$ in Canada... sheeesh, so much for "American muscle").

I know you're going to come in and blast Motortrend and Car&Driver( already did :rolleyes:) say something to the likes of it not being fair, etc, but both show the Camaro SS and Mustang GT being faster in the straight line performance than the STI.

Motortrend has the Camaro SS at 0-60 of 4.7 seconds and 1/4 mile of 13.1 seconds at 110 MPH. The Mustang GT at 0-60 at 4.4 seconds and 1/4 mile of 12.7 seconds at 111 MPH. The Subaru WRX STi 0-60 of 5 seconds and 1/4 mile of 13.6 seconds at 99 MPH.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ubishi_lancer_evolution_comparison/specs.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._challenger_srt8_comparison/test_numbers.html

Car&Driver has the Camaro SS at 0-60 of 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile at 13.0 seconds at 111 MPH. The Mustang at 0-60 of 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile at 13.2 seconds at 109 MPH. They clocked the WRX STI at 0-60 at 5.0 seconds and 1/4 mile at 13.7 seconds at 100 MPH.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q3/2011_subaru_impreza_wrx_sedan-short_take_road_test

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...vs._2010_chevrolet_camaro_ss-comparison_tests

Insideline also has similar results.

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/im...baru-impreza-wrx-sti-full-test-and-video.html

http://www.insideline.com/ford/must...d-mustang-gt-vs-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss.html

*Awaits reasons why these results are not fair.......

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The Subaru WRX STi 0-60 of 5 seconds

Considering that is the 0-60 time of the 2008 WRX with 224 HP (the 2009+ WRX has 265 HP and more peak torque), yes, I'm going to say your numbers are way off and your publications are old and decrepit. The STI is faster than that.

I'm not going to argue manhood length on a forum, you won't change my mind about "american muscle". POS cars, POS performance, gas guzzling, expensive as hell to buy. They are basically sold to old men who have a nostalgia for their youth, priced to gouge them out of money they probably don't have. Long gone are the days of affordable american muscle. The baby boomers who actually have an interest in these cars have the 40k$ asking price in available credit.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Considering that is the 0-60 time of the 2008 WRX with 224 HP (the 2009+ WRX has 265 HP and more peak torque), yes, I'm going to say your numbers are way off and your publications are old and decrepit. The STI is faster than that.

I'm not going to argue manhood length on a forum, you won't change my mind about "american muscle". POS cars, POS performance, gas guzzling, expensive as hell to buy. They are basically sold to old men who have a nostalgia for their youth, priced to gouge them out of money they probably don't have. Long gone are the days of affordable american muscle. The baby boomers who actually have an interest in these cars have the 40k$ asking price in available credit.

Fairly sure I see a 2011 next to the Subaru in the titles........

Now I did make a mistake with the C&D link. That is just the WRX, and not the STI, here is the STI.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...za_wrx_sti_limited_sedan-short_take_road_test

I am not arguing manhood. Arguing facts. You may not like the Mustang GT and Camaro SS( I am not trying to argue a persons opinion of a car), but there is no reason to try to make them out to be slower than they really are.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone under 50 driving a Mustang or Camaro. They're a midlife crisis car.

Plus, they're fugly IMO. No one has done the modern retro look right.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone under 50 driving a Mustang or Camaro. They're a midlife crisis car.

That's interesting. My college campus is filled with kids driving Mustang's and Camaro's. Same with my apartment complex. Also the same back home in MD. Kids are driving the Mustang and Camaro.

Depends on the area I guess......

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell

Actually i do have an AMEX. Good idea, thanks for the head up

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
I'd like to thank everybody for you input. I definitely have different prospective now.

Just one thing, a good friend of mine is moving to Montreal however he is more interested in trucks (traveling, moving stuff). he is considering: Silverado, Avalanche, Sierra, and Tacoma. I guess Sierra and Siverado are almost the same car, so deciding between them is a matter of taste for the different options available for them.

The price range he is willing to pay is $35000t o $40000. It will be his main car (work and pleasure). He want something reliable (long and short term), classy, a bit luxurious, and comfortable.

All of them are available in a 4WD option so obviously i advised him about this. Anything else? Which of the above fits the bill?

Sorry to bother you again, but since i did learn a lot from you i couldn't resist asking again :p:D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Interesting options. Tacoma is a mid-size truck compared to the Silverado/Sierra, and Avalanche. Out of the mid-sizers, the Tacoma is definitely the one to get no questions asked. The rest of the mid-size truck market is filled with aging POS's( Colorado/Canyon, Ranger, etc).

The question now lies in how much truck does your friend need? Does he intend to tow much? How much payload is he going to put in the bed? How big of bed will he need? The bed question will make or break the Avalanche option as it doesn't have that big of a bed.

If he needs a full size truck, what engine will he be likely be buying? For the GM twins, if he wants the 5.3 liter, I would recommend the Ford F-150 with either 5.0 V8 or EcoBoost V6. The 5.3 liter V8 is outclassed by the 5.0 V8. If he wants the 6.2 V8 in the GM Twins, then it is competitive with Ford's 6.2 V8. Out of the twins, I recommend the Sierra just because I prefer the Sierra's looks over the Silvy's. It's a shame your friend probably has to buy shortly. As GM has new trucks coming in 2013 CY with the Gen V Small Block V8. The F-150 should definitely be on his list.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
As for the car itself, I wouldn't pay what they are asking for Mustangs and Camaros. Over 30k for those gas guzzlers ? 40k+ for the V8 versions ? Screw that.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Do you even know what the gas mileage is on those 412-426 hp, high 12 second cars? They are hardly gas guzzlers for the performance they offer.

I'll take a Camaro SS and Mustang GT over the Subaru WRX/STI any day. Just different taste in cars.

Same. STI screams boy racer, but then again Knight here had a dumped Integra...

Sure, if you want gas guzzling and straight line performance. I'd rather have fun in the twisties. ;)

What decade are you stuck in?

KnightWRX said:
And heck, even in a straight line the stock Subarus eat the stock muscle cars.

LOLOLOL

What's with the talking down to others attitude? The WRX/STI are great vehicles, but I would rather have the Camaro and Mustang. FYI, Car&Driver took a Mustang GT and it was able to keep up with the M3 around the track. The Camaro and Mustang are not just straight line performers anymore. The Challenger still is though.

Some people will just never believe it.

I'm actually talking down to the cars themselves. Unless you designed them, you have no business taking my comments on them personally. Oh and keeping up with an M3 ? In the twisties ? Is that thing loaded on the back of a tow truck or something ?

Keeping up with an M3 around a track? They ran the same time, dude, and the Mustang was half the price. It also was faster in the quarter, and stopped quicker. Here's a comparison around the holy twisties with a professional driving the basic $30k GT (not $40k, lol) against the M3 and flat out says at the end that the Mustang is a hell of a car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

4.8 seconds uh ? Just the same time my 12k$ cheaper Subaru WRX does it in. When am I supposed to be impressed exactly ? Nurburgring numbers are worthless without a direct comparison with the same driver.

4.8 seconds? More like 4.4 with wheelspin.

And now you have your direct comparison with the same driver.

Just admit it dude, you're talking out of your ass 100% and know basically nothing. Typical ricer mentality. About the only thing the BMW had on the Stang was better shocks, easily swapped, and anyone owning a Mustang will lower it and swap the shocks since they ride like 4x4s from the factory. The BMW lacks midrange torque and balance and suffers from understeer, those aren't easily rectifiable.

Here's another thing you surely can't stomach: third generation Camaros (you know, that '80s junk) pulled .92g on the skidpad in bone stock form--20 years ago. You die hard import guys need to get a clue, American cars do--and have--handled for the last 25 freaking years ffs.

Also, to show you how wrong you are about "gas guzzling POS", here are some more facts:

2011 Mustang GT, 5.0L V8, 412 hp:

Highway: 26 mpg
City: 17 mpg

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 425hp:

Highway: 24 mpg
City: 16 mpg

2011 WRX STI, 305hp:

Highway: 23 mpg
City: 17 mpg

Just go home Knight, you have been wrong on everything.

Last edited:

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Interesting options. Tacoma is a mid-size truck compared to the Silverado/Sierra, and Avalanche. Out of the mid-sizers, the Tacoma is definitely the one to get no questions asked. The rest of the mid-size truck market is filled with aging POS's( Colorado/Canyon, Ranger, etc).

The question now lies in how much truck does your friend need? Does he intend to tow much? How much payload is he going to put in the bed? How big of bed will he need? The bed question will make or break the Avalanche option as it doesn't have that big of a bed.

I have checked; as for the tow he is not anticipating any heavy stuff (probably something as heavy as a jet ski). As for the bed, he thinks it will be few boxes every now and then (he is considering something around 6.5'). looking at all the options he is currently torn between the Sierra and avalanche

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Hi guys..just wanted to update you about what did i get eventually (i think i own you that:))

i ended up getting the BMW X1!

Cheers and really appreciate everything..you did help me a lot

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Just admit it dude, you're talking out of your ass 100% and know basically nothing. Typical ricer mentality. About the only thing the BMW had on the Stang was better shocks, easily swapped, and anyone owning a Mustang will lower it and swap the shocks since they ride like 4x4s from the factory. The BMW lacks midrange torque and balance and suffers from understeer, those aren't easily rectifiable.

x

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.