Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Hey everyone!

I was just looking into Colorware since I am just getting sick of staring at the scratches on the back of my poor iPhone. I absolutely hate casing my phone, because I never like the looks or feel of it.

Yes, I know the job is expensive, but to my eyes I may consider sending my phone in the future.

My questions are:

1) So the way they change the back of the phone's housing is by painting it carefully, or do they replace the whole housing?

2) I think I'd like my iPhone housing to be black or a nice dark blue. So, what is the difference between the "Solid" color option and the "Metallic"?

3) Do they offer the housing to come in a plasticy finish?

4) Although it takes up to two weeks for the whole process to be completed: is there any way I can somehow pause my AT&T contract for two weeks so I don't have to pay as much as $70 a month as I usually do for two weeks I won't be using my phone if I send it into Colorware?

5) Is there such thing as a Colorware coupon code floating around? I know before ordering it asks you if you have a coupon or gift card.
Just wondering. :)

Thank you for helping me out. Forgive me for being such a noob to everything. :eek:

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hey everyone!

I was just looking into Colorware since I am just getting sick of staring at the scratches on the back of my poor iPhone. I absolutely hate casing my phone, because I never like the looks or feel of it.

Yes, I know the job is expensive, but to my eyes I may consider sending my phone in the future.

My questions are:

1) So the way they change the back of the phone's housing is by painting it carefully, or do they replace the whole housing?

2) I think I'd like my iPhone housing to be black or a nice dark blue. So, what is the difference between the "Solid" color option and the "Metallic"?

3) Do they offer the housing to come in a plasticy finish?

4) Although it takes up to two weeks for the whole process to be completed: is there any way I can somehow pause my AT&T contract for two weeks so I don't have to pay as much as $70 a month as I usually do for two weeks I won't be using my phone if I send it into Colorware?

5) Is there such thing as a Colorware coupon code floating around? I know before ordering it asks you if you have a coupon or gift card.
Just wondering. :)

Thank you for helping me out. Forgive me for being such a noob to everything. :eek:

1. You got a little problem The colorware company only paints on NEW products (read its FAQ)

2. The diference betwen solid and metalic is the kind of GLOSS, a solid color wont shine as much as a metalic one, the last one, recieves more layers, and stuff that makes it more shinny.

3. no plasic finnish (and dont even consider getting a 3g plastic because it wont fit)

4. you could borror a cheap phone, or call your wireless carrier

5. I have never really seen any codes on the web for color ware.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
1. You got a little problem The colorware company only paints on NEW products (read its FAQ)

2. The diference betwen solid and metalic is the kind of GLOSS, a solid color wont shine as much as a metalic one, the last one, recieves more layers, and stuff that makes it more shinny.

3. no plasic finnish (and dont even consider getting a 3g plastic because it wont fit)

4. you could borror a cheap phone, or call your wireless carrier

5. I have never really seen any codes on the web for color ware.

For number 1, I saw a little button under the customization options to "Send In" your iPhone to get it finished.
http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-103-iphone.aspx

But for the rest of your answers are great! Thanks for responding! :cool:

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
For number 1, I saw a little button under the customization options to "Send In" your iPhone to get it finished.
http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-103-iphone.aspx

But for the rest of your answers are great! Thanks for responding! :cool:

They usualy dont take the full time, Last Year a send mi ps3, for a paintjob from ugly black, to lovely white... it ended great...
BUT a word of advice, please send your phone with a LOT of plastic protection, and a box...

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
They remove the casing and paint it, then reassemble it... that's my understanding anyway.

About the bill... I am amazed you would just not use the phone as opposed to using a cheap or borrowed phone. But wireless carriers suspend service all the time for those on vacation, etc.

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
They remove the casing and paint it, then reassemble it... that's my understanding anyway.

About the bill... I am amazed you would just not use the phone as opposed to using a cheap or borrowed phone. But wireless carriers suspend service all the time for those on vacation, etc.

Youre right, thats why, they state that your warranty voids, LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.