Questions about compatability with OS X 10.4 Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GrimmPenguin, Jul 1, 2007.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

I'm wondering what would be minimum requirements for a PowerBook G4 to run OS X 10.4 Tiger smoothly. I'm planning on purchasing a PowerBook G4 and I'm wondering simply because I don't want to get a model that ends up lagging throughout 10.4. I'm mainly worried about processor power and the amount of RAM. Thanks for any help!

2. sfisher macrumors regular

I run 10.4 on my iBook (see specs in my signature) and it runs perfectly. I rarely go over 512MB of RAM usage.

3. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

What would you consider the minimum requirements for an extensive task such as multi-track recording with GarageBand?

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Probably the highest spec G4 powerbook you could get would be ideal.

At this point you probably don't want to futz around with anything less than 1.25ghz, 512mb/ram.

The base OS will run smoothly with a slower processor, but you need 512+ no matter what. If you want to get into tougher stuff with garageband and still use a powerbook, you'll want a specced out, top end one.

5. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm... that sounds reasonable. What kind of PowerBook 12" do you think I could get for roughly $600?

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think that the top end 12" pbs are going for about $700-800 on ebay, so you could get a pretty high end model, maybe not quite the best of the best, but good. No matter what you'll want to put in the full 1.25GB of memory, so keep that in mind when you're buying it.

7. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds good! This is only going to be a temporary laptop for a few months to two years. I plan on getting a MacBook once the LED lightings come out for them and such and I'm not quite yet able to afford one. But I need a Mac so I figured I'd just get one of these for now.

I'm thinking of this as a bare minimum: (hopefully for the price of $600-650)

1.33 GHz G4 Processor
    60GB
    512mb
    ComboDrive

I will mainly be using this for GarageBand purposes, so a SuperDrive isn't that necessary, but when I get a new Mac in a few months, I plan to get a SuperDrive.