Questions about computers, Willing to take any help from anyone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Inspired, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

SO I was planning on getting a new computer, when the new MBP's came out I jumped out of my seat in excitement. But eventually I had a reality as I saw my bank account and realized I'm very poor :D.

So now I've decided to build my own computer, I have no idea how to build it, all I know is buy parts and assemble together. But how do you know which ones are compatible? which ones will work best together? What does different motherboards do? Do I need to configure anything?

A friend pointed me to a Dell website where they would build the computer for me(sounds awesome right?) then I did some research and found that Dell uses parts that can only be upgraded through Dell and you can't upgrade on your own. So that turned me off.

Can anyone provide a blueprint of what parts I would need to build an awesome gaming PC? Please and Thank you!

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Without a budget and exactly what you want to use this for, it's hard to recommend specific parts.

There are A LOT of guides around the web. Personally for components, I like recommending the ArsTechnica build guides, which offer suggestions at different price points.

Do a lot of google searches, and ask on PC computer enthusiast forums. They are really very easy to build.

3. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

4. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Any more replies from anyone would be greatly appreciated :D

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

umm ... that is a lot of money. You can buy a ready-built machine from quite a few companies. You do have to tell us what you plan to do with it. Do you want a Windows PC or a Mac, etc.

6. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

windows PC. I heard that you can get a much better PC if you build your own :D

UPDATE: I'll be using it for games and such.

7. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

You would need someone in person to explain all the stuff to you and make sure you do it right. Most of the times you pick out the motherboard first then see what socket it uses for processors, what type of RAM it uses, what type of hard drive it can take, which video and sound cards can be used (check it out online). When you are on the site just look in the appropriate section and then filter it to be only the type you need (this works well on tigerdirect.com and newegg.com). If you were looking for a MBP why don't you just get an older refurbished one? Or if you want a windows machine, then look at laptop since you were looking at one anyways. But if you want a desktop then I suggest you buy pre-configured if you don't really understand fully how to build one.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You can possibly get better components, that is true.

However, keep in mind:
    - Time it will take to build
    - Figuring out what works together
    - Support/warrant if anything goes wrong
    - Components playing nicely with each other

My recommendation is to figure out what you want to do, and either buy a new system or a slightly older one and save the extra $$.

I haven't built a system in years, for other than switching to the Mac, I felt it wasn't worth it any more for me to spend all that time putting it together when I could just order it.

my 2c.

9. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

I shall keep that in mind. The reason why I'm not getting a macbook is that I dont want to deal with hardware issues, since I keep reading about how hardwares always failing in apple and people are so thankful that they bought AppleCare, I dont want to be scared into buying AppleCare.

10. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

maybe I will get a pre-made one ._. I wish there was a class offered in my college that teaches me how to make a PC on my own, seems like soemthing nice i can do to keep myself busy over the summer.

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

When you build your first computer you need to know a few things as mentioned above. The very first thing you need to know is what are you using it for? Second thing is your budget?

Gaming and General uses seems to be your main usage. 800 to 1000 seems to be your budget. You can make a great machine for this price.

The very first thing you need to decide on, what processor do you want. Pick your processor based on your needs. Go to Intel and AMD's websites and look up their processors. Pick a processor that is in your budget that will give you the most performance. I would pick a Dual Core processor, probably a C2D.

Now you can pick your motherboard based off the processor you want. Look up the processor and what motherboards supports it in a google search. Look at ASUS, Intel, AMD, Jetway, etc. Once you have found a few that you like, you need to figure out which one are best for you. How much ram can the card support, what video cards can it support, does it do DUAL cards, does it have SATA, PATA, eSATA, Firewire, enough USB, etc.

Then you pick your video card based off your motherboard, pick whichever one suits you and or budget the best. Same thing with RAM. You don't have to max everything out now, you can add more later if you want.

Then you just have your DVD drive, hard drive, power supply (which should come with the case), as well as picking a good case that fits your motherboard type. Then you need to get an OS, buy Windows XP or Vista or use Linux if that is your pie.

General prices should be around;

Processor - 300.00
    Motherboard - 200.00
    Video Card - 150.00
    Hard Drive - 120.00
    DVD Drive - 40.00
    Computer Case - 50.00
    Ram - 100.00

As you can see, this is about your budget, this would be for a medium high end pc, not mid-range, but not high end - just in the middle of the top-end.

Hopefully this is a good rough idea for what you will need to do. Once you pick a processor, let us know which one so we can help you determine what motherboard you will need. Make sure to use part numbers so we can all see the same thing.

Good luck!

12. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thank you so much, I'm gonna go do my research now and I'll create another thread very soon. This was very insightful! Thanks again

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's not hard at all.

If I was a gaming freak, and had $1000 to spend on a computer, I'd build my own with these specs-

Antec 900 case (Case doesn't matter, I like the airflow of the 900)
    Processor- Intel Core i7
    This motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

Find a 1333 DDR3 RAM

Any SATA hard drive will do.

Any PCI Express 2.0 video card will do.
    Any PCI Express 2.0 wireless card will do

A power supply- Get a OCZ 750w power supply (For this system)

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I broke your budget by $0.14

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827136144
    $23.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC
    Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Item #: N82E16811119068
    $44.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
    3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    Item #: N82E16822136218
    $69.99

Acer X213Hbid 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor
    Item #: N82E16824009175
    $149.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD
    Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813128378
    $139.99

BFG Tech BFGEGTX260896OCE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
    PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    Item #: N82E16814143140
    $164.99

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS550-PCARE3-US 550W ATX12V V2.3
    SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817171038
    $59.99

Creative Inspire 245 4 Watts 2.0 Speaker - Retail
    Item #: N82E16836116030
    $19.99

Logitech Deluxe 250 Black USB Standard Keyboard - OEM
    Item #: N82E16823126013
    $8.99

Logitech SBF-96 Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse
    Item #: N82E16826104026
    $8.25

mushkin HP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
    10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996652 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16820146868
    $69.99

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black
    Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819103649
    $139.00

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
    Item #: N82E16832116488
    $99.00

15. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

would this take long to assemble?

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

For a first timer, it would take a while, but if you had a whole free day to yourself, you could do it easily. Just follow a guide and observe necessary safety precautions for the computer and yourself.

17. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks so much!

18. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm all for you building your own PC if you want, as that will help you learn quite a bit about computers. However, if that is the only reason why you don't want a MacBook, I would seriously reconsider your decision. Apple computers have a lower overall failure rate than PC's. 1 year of AppleCare is free with the purchase of a new Mac. Extended AppleCare is what you would pay for, but only if you really wanted it. I've always purchased the extended plan with every modern Apple computer I've purchased....but I've yet to ever need it. None of my Apple products have ever had any issues.

If you want to build a computer for the learning experience, by all means, go for it! However, Macs do not have major failure/reliability issues...so you don't really need to worry about that. Though, it sounds like you want a computer for gaming. MacBooks aren't really known for their gaming prowess. For your price range and main interest in gaming, building your own PC might be best for that. Macs can be great for gaming, but not in your price range. Still, a MacBook could be a great computer for you. ...Now, if you could splurge for a MacBook Pro, that could be right up your alley.

20. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Here are suggestions for an $800 gaming PC from ExtremeTech. Be careful when you're building it that you don't break any of the components. Normally they don't take a lot of force to put together. And don't turn it on before you install the heat sink and fans.

21. No1451 macrumors 6502

If you have never put one together yourself you might want to see about assembly from the seller. A lot of shops you can visit will do an assembly for you for ~$50, or you can try doing it yourself. I will warn you though that building PCs can be ADDICTIVE. I put together my first 3 years ago and now I find myself making custom cables, watercooling and getting laser cutting done to my case!

+1 for chrmjenkins build, that should blow away all your expectations. If you need help with assembly or guides, try www.hardwarecanucks.com or http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

Lots of very knowledgeable people and a bunch of guides for new builders.

Only if you take into account big box builders like HP, Dell and the like. This is because they use incredibly cheap components(psu and mobo are the worst offenders) that are on a warpath towards failure from day one. Aside from basic hardware issues(they happen, I have had DOA mobos before) there are no great causes of catastrophic hardware failure present in a homebuilt machine that won't be present in a Mac. Please do not spread FUD.

22. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks to all contributors, I will try my best to decide what my next step will be, because these are all good inputs and I just can't decide quite yet :eek:

23. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

If I were you, I would get a previous gen refurbished Macbook. That is what I got that replaced the pc I had built. The Macbook purchase was one of the best purchases I made. I would rather have a slightly spec'd down hardware to have the great OSX, plus OSX can run better on lower hardware than Windows can.

You can then get a nicely sized LCD monitor and keyboard/mouse to connect to the Macbook and it is now a desktop computer. But gaming is one of your main uses so a Mac might not be a good choice - but for everything else it sure is! Seems Macbooks have more reliability than most other laptops.

I loved my Macbook and didn't have many problems with it - besides a failed HD (which was aftermarket) and a slowly failing disc drive. I traded my Macbook to a member here on the forums for an ALU iMac - the one in my sig. I love my iMac! I haven't had any problems with my iMac as of now. I strongly recommend you get one if you aren't going to use the Laptop as a Laptop.

24. No1451 macrumors 6502

He has already stated that he wants to do some gaming, this will not go over well on a laptop, especially weakly speced laptops like a MacBook. I own one and it's a great machine: but if he wants to game(and he said he does) it is just not the right machine! Factor in the low availability of games released for OS X and you have a paperweight essentially that will not perform the task he wants it to.

Even if he bought a fully speced out Mac Pro(in terms of cpu/ram/video) my more modestly priced machine would take it to town when it comes to games and cost a fraction of the price.

25. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

One thing that helped me in my early years of building PC's was looking at wish lists on sites like Newegg and seeing what components other users were throwing together....always good to get a second opinion.