Questions about Dell 2407WFP-HC vs. 23" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by divedude, Aug 17, 2007.

1. divedude macrumors member

divedude

I plan to buy a new mac pro soon and will need a new monitor for HD video editing. I am interested in the Dell 2407WFP-HC or the 23" ACD.

Will the Dell work with the Mac right out of the box? Has anyone compaired the two side by side? Is there any significant difference between the two other than the price?

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, the display will work with your Mac Pro right out of the box. The only difference between the performance of the displays is that the ACD uses a higher quality panel than the Dell display.

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have the Dell and prior to buying it did some research on this point actually comparing it to the ACD. It's actually a better screen and has been recognised as such by most reviews as well as being substantially cheaper.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

From what I've heard, Dell changes the panel in their displays sometimes and depending on which panel you get, the quality is either better or worse. It may have changed when they went to the HC model, though.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

This was never true for the 24". Only the 20", which switched between PVA and IPS. And it wasn't so much the "quality" it was the viewing angles and color reproduction people were concerned with, which doesn't mean the PVA isn't a "quality" panel, it just doesn't boast the specs that IPS does.

The Apple display does not have a higher quality panel any longer. The Dell covers 92% of the NTSC color gamut. It also has a better backlighting system.

The Apple is also limited to one digital input. While the Dell is more flexible and has more features overall.

6. CDailey macrumors regular

Add another one to the Dell club. I've got a 2407 (non HC model...I've got the color banding issue :(), but I love it. You can use it for so many other devices. I use it for HD gaming with my 360 :)

7. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

Yes, the dell monitor is compatible with your Mac Pro.

If you work in colors (or general entertainment), the HC is for you.
    I recommend the 2407WFP HC for the balance between price and the quality of the picture. Why spend that much money on a more expensive monitor that is an inch smaller? The difference is nearly 400.00 (WFPHC goes for 569ish on Dell.com).

Google for your reviews. Hardforums (not trying to advertise) Display section is a great resource where the majority recommend the WFP.
    I was caught up in a similar situation - Go for the 2407HC. You will not regret it.

And the panel lotto the guy up there is talking about is only concerned with the 2007WFP (20'' variant). Don't worry about a thing with the 2407WFP HC.

8. mickr7an macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Dell 2407 wfp-hc 24 inch display will work with my G5 dual processor - Radeon 9600 graphics card?

I'd like to get this monitor as it seems to have better specs than the Apple 23 inch and is cheaper. But I've heard complaints about banding and having to make lots of adjustments out of the box to get the colours to look right - although those comments were about the non HC version which I assume is older.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Should work just fine. I drive a 24" on a Powermac G4 with a Radeon 9000 :eek:

10. asencif macrumors 6502

What is new on the HC version of the 2407? Are the panels all PVA on the 24 inch? Can you adjust the backlight on these monitors? That's one thing I don't like about ACD's, which makes them unbearably bright in medium to dark environment despite turning down the brightness. Thanks.