Questions about downgrading to original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merthyrboy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Hey, so I have an iPhone 3Gs and just bought the iPad last week when it came out in the UK. I've never really liked the feel of my new iPhone since my original one got stolen. I just have a few questions about doing this since I don't really want to waste money.

1) if it's jail broken can I restore it to run the official apple software?

2) will apple replace the battery through the battery replacement scheme even if it does look a bit worn as they do have a policy to reject phones that have been abused?

Thanks in advance, Math

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

1. Yep, of course.

2. This will probably depend on the individual phone itself and the person to whom you speak at the time of replacement.

You'll just have to try it out, and if they don't do it, ifixit.com has guides for self-replacment should you still be so inclined.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

1: Yep!

2: Not if the warranty is out of date, which it would be by now.

4. Merthyrboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast responses. Just saw a lot of jail broken phones on eBay, hopefully I could get a new battery in it even if I replace myself since it's probably not holding a good charge after 3 years of use

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Yea, get a new battery. They're pretty cheap and opening the original iPhone is pretty easy.

Here's a guide for you: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-1st-Generation-Battery/448/1

And the battery price here: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-Gen-1-Replacement-Battery/IF105-017

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

My advice is to keep your 3GS. The feel may not be as nice as the original iPhone but I've been using the original iPhone for the past 2.5 years and I cannot wait to get my hands on the 4G. The phone has gotten slower and slower and slower after each new software update. It now takes me an average of 30-45 seconds to open the SMS app and wait for it to load, click on the persons name I want to send a text to and begin writing. Everything lags like crazy. Sometimes it takes google maps 10 seconds to recognize that I've clicked in the text box and want to type something. Don't even get me started on games.

I can't wait to be rid of my 2G iPhone and get something with a little speed in it!

7. Merthyrboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember seeing somewhere on this site links to like 2.0 software that would probably make the phone faster

8. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

That should do the trick, although you'll be giving up all the new features of 3.0 and lots of apps that you've updated simply won't work on older firmware. Keep in mind that you'll be losing a lot of functionality.

9. Merthyrboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't used my iPhone all week so it wouldn't be too bad losing some functionality.