Questions about duckhead adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheesyappleuser, Aug 12, 2014.

1. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Hi everyone,
    I just bought a 13" rMBP from the US which I'm going to use in Europe.

As such, I need to buy a duckhead adapter in order to properly charge it here. However, it's pretty much impossible to find an official one, so I bought a third-party adapter.
    Is there any chance that such an adapter might damage the laptop?

Best regards,
    Pedro.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, there is a pretty big chance to damage your MacBook with a third party power adapter, or did you just meant to buy this:
    [​IMG]

There is always this kit: http://store.apple.com/pt/product/MB974ZM/B/kit-de-adaptadores-para-viajes-mundiales-de apple

3. cheesyappleuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

4. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

5. littlepud macrumors regular

The "duck head" as you call it is only a passive contact with a hinge. There's no chance it can damage your mac. The only thing that could possibly happen is that it could damage your power brick, but there would have to be something seriously wrong (like a short circuit).

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I've used a std "figure 8" mains cable from power outlet to brick, fits right into the figure 8 connector in lieu of the plug adapter....

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would advice getting an adapter to use the long extension cord since the duckhead does not have a ground.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The figure 8 connector doesn't have a ground (it is two pins only), primarily I use it for a US power cord, they don't have grounds.....other than if you cut the mains cable (and have 3-pin sockets with earth-leakage), there is no point in using a three-pin adapter.

9. mountainman macrumors member

mountainman

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The metal disc that the adapter slides over is actually earthed if you have an official Apple power supply. If you look at the slot on the cable itself (and some adapters) there is a metal insert that makes contact with the disc, which is how the adapter is grounded.

Obviously if you're using the US adapter there are only 2 pins and no earth, but if you're using the three pin cable (available in the US) then it will feature the earth connection. The UK cable and adapter both have the earth connection.

However, the Apple power supply is double insulated, so it doesn't strictly need that earth connection (as you stated), but it is there if you use the appropriate adapter.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Good to know - I never looked at it that closely :)