Questions about DVI-D and DVI-I

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a mini vga to DVI-D (without the little 4 pins around the one long pin at the end).

Anyway I have the vga to dvi-i converter and it wont fit on my mini vga to dvi-d.. is there a mini vga to dvi-i that I need to buy to use or is there a new vga to dvi-i converter instead of the dvi-d that I currently have?

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

You're not making much sense... are you wanting a mini VGA to DVI-D adapter, a VGA to DVI-I, or a mini VGA to DVI-I adapter? Belkin makes a range of VGA to DVI adapters, so you might want to check their website since you know what you need.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If the computer has only VGA output, it cannot be transformed to DVI with a small adapter.

What is the computer you have? What is the display you have?

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

There should be no such thing as a VGA to DVI-D connector because VGA is analog and DVD is digital, so you have two incompatible video transmission formats in one cable. It would be like a parallel to serial adapter. :)

I am pretty sure that Apple's mini-DVI to DVI adapter supports DVI-I since I believe I used it with a DVI-I cable.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Basically the mini dvi that fits on my macbook isnt compatible with the vga to dvi converter(got from apple I think as free included in the mac pro purchase) that I have that's connected to my hdtv.

But the mini vga to dvi cable will hook up nicely to my apple cinema display fine..

6. cube macrumors G4

DVI-I = DVI-D + DVI-A

A simple adapter can can route the VGA signal to DVI-A or the A part of DVI-I.

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

My macbook's mini dvi is a female that looks like this [​IMG]

But the vga to dvi converter that I got free with the mac pro looks like this in male: [​IMG]

Just wont fit... are there two different mini dvi's??

8. cube macrumors G4

The first is a DVI-D connector. It lacks the A connections.
    The second is a DVI-I connector.

You can plug a male DVI-D into a female DVI-I, but not the reverse.
    You can plug a male DVI-A into a female DVI-I, but not the reverse.
    DVI-A and DVI-D are completely incompatible.

If you want analog, I think you need an Apple mini DVI to VGA adapter. If the monitor does not have a VGA connector but takes analog through DVI, you need also the proper VGA to DVI adapter and DVI cable (taking into account the above restrictions for the 4 analog connections).

If you want to connect digitally, you need the Apple mini DVI to DVI adapter (which is really DVI-D), plus a DVI-D cable.