Questions about exterior Audio on MacBook Pro with Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRobby, Jun 24, 2012.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Coming from a PC desktop I am accustomed to not using internal speakers and also non-USB headphones.

Is there a aways I can still use USB headphones or am I only restricted to the audio port?

I understand that the internal speakers on the MBPR are advanced but if I choose to use external speakers will I be able to and if so which port I use?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Most standard usb audio devices should work fine if you don't want to use headphone port for whatever reason.

3. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The reason for the USB headpghones is that they tend to better control the audio feedback when using the microphone on headset

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

As long as your usb headphones are Mac compatible (most should be), then it'll work without any issues. You might have to download a driver or something, but you should be good.

For external speakers, you just use the headphone port. However, the headphone port supports line-out as well as optical. I currently have a Logitech Z-5500 hooked up to my rMBP through optical out- and all 5 speakers as well as my sub work flawlessly. If you just have 2 speakers and they support line-in, then you can get it to work by just plugging it in.

5. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Thank you Trey for your help today and yesterday. Perhaps I should put you on retainer as a "Genius"

6. Aragorn234 macrumors member

What about using a set of 5.1 speakers without optical out. I have a set of Logitech z530, that I want to use.

Any suggestions on an external USB sound card?