Questions about Faces/Places before I buy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW008, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

I had a couple of questions to ask about iPhoto '09 before I decide to put my $79 down on it.

1) I think when I was originally envisioning iPhoto '09, I thought Faces would automatically group everyone together and then I would just go to each grouping of a person and label them. After reading some of the threads, I see that this is not what happens. iPhoto scans your library and then you have to manually go through each photo and say this person is Adam, this person is Kate, etc. After you've manually entered enough people, the facial recognition software kicks in and it will start looking for people. This is where you confirm that the photo that's being suggested is the actual person. Is this how it works?

2) Does iPhoto every get "smart" enough to group persons together without me having to confirm or deny every time I add new photos of people? Or will I have to go through the 'confirm or deny' process every time?

3) As for Places, I have a 2G iPhone, so the location software is good, but not great. I've noticed Places puts down push-pins similar to the iPhone. Like the iPhone, can I manually move these push-pins to the correct location? For example, if the photo was taken in St. Louis and the push-pin was showing I was at the Gateway Arch, but I was actually Busch Stadium, could I select the push-pin and drag it from the Arch to Busch?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I haven't found a way to move the push pins on the main map. But you can selesct all those photos, look at their info, and set a new location for them which takes you to your location manager where you can drag pins on a map.

So you can so what you want, just not in the way you asked.

3. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

While it seems odd that I can't just manually move the push pins, that seems easy enough (especially since usually you're taking multiple photos in one location). Thanks for the answer.

Someone answered #1 in another thread. Anyone have any comments on #2?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would say no. iPhoto still picks up wrong faces for the dozen or so people I have entered. I would not want any automatic feature of this nature. It's very quick and efficient to confirm new photos. I expect that the more photos I confirm for a person, the smarter the software will get but I can't prove that to myself just yet.

1 - allow iPhoto09 to scan for faces - this took all night for my library
    2 - go to events, view a family photo, click faces and add names
    3 - go to faces and iphoto will show the faces you defined on a cork board
    4 - click one of the faces on the cork board and you will get hundreds (or thousands in my case) of possible photos to confirm. iphoto zooms in on the person you are trying to confirm. Single-click to add and double-click to subtract.

Hopefully when I get a chance this evening, I will be able to determine whether iPhoto got any smarter after I confirmed a few hundred photos of my immediate family members.

5. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm...thanks for the reply. I guess I'm assuming that as I direct it, iPhoto will become smart enough to determine who's who well enough to where I just want them to add automatically. I'm guessing I can "unFaces" someone who is not actually that person.

One more quick question--how is everyone tagging people? Are you doing first and last names? Just first names? I'd be interested to hear people's reasoning for the way they're tagging.

Looks like I'll be taking an extra long lunch to buy the software and then play around with it.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

7. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow--that's exactly what I was looking for.

I've been to get it, got everything installed and messed around for a while, but now I'm back at work. I'll try that when I get home from class tonight.

Thanks!