Questions about factory reset

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Chocoberry, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Chocoberry macrumors newbie

So, I recently bought a ipod touch 5th generation online. The seller says he's done the factory reset 'erase all content and settings', does that mean that he has no way of tracking the device? It's sorta creepy not knowing if he could or not.:)

2. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

He has no way to track it unless activation lock is active which I barely don't think it is because he did factory reset it

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Couldn't you at one point do a reset without disabling any activation lock or find my device? Now I get a notice that it wants to disable find my device. Was it always like that?

I suppose, tangent, that if they knew the MAC address of the touch they could, but that gets into is it possible, or likely. Possible, sure, but likely? Unless the person you bought it from is a 2-gazillion on the psycho scale, it wouldn't be worth it to try tracking like that. And if you are leery, wipe the thing yourself, and do a restore...

4. rigormortis, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you do a "erase all content and settings" on the actual device , it is securely erased and logged off iCloud.com and find my iPhone is disabled and can be activated by a new owner.

if you go to www.icloud.com or use find my iPhone to erase the iOS device, the device remains on your iCloud.com account and find my iPhone remains on and it cannot be activated by new owner, until you manually remove it from your account

it has nothing to do with activation lock and it won't prevent you from doing anything , but apple does keep a list of your devices by serial number on "your support profile", it might be a good idea to go to that website once in a while and delete anything you no longer own.
    ( idmsa.apple.com )

if the seller provides a imei number or the serial number of any apple device you can check to make sure activation lock is off by going to https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

regardless if the iOS device is erased by using the actual device or over the internet, once is erased it can no longer be tracked at all. if you still don't feel safe about it, then DFU the device after you verify that activation lock is disabled

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Still can if you do a dfu restore. The device acts as new till it hits the activation lock screen

6. rigormortis, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think it would be more likely a psycho would sell you the iPod erased and ready to be activated, but file a phony police report saying you beat him up and stole it, then worrying about the mac address of the iPod

maybe if you and the other person were on the same wifi network he could ping you to death and he could sniff your packets.

as far as i know the mac address doesn't really get transmitted over the net, because when it goes over the net its an ip address and not a mac address. if someone knew your mac address of your wifi router, they can just go to wigle.net and find out where you live. heh. anybody can go to wigle.net and type in any mac address and find any given router.

if your not on wigle.net you might be on skyhook wireless.

you don't see people worrying abut that and changing their mac addresses or making sure no one is driving around the neighborhood logging mac address!! oh ****!! iPhones already do that automatically were in trouble!!

i said 'as far as i know' please do not yell at me to correct me. thank you, heh

7. Jonathon71 Suspended

Safe

You don't need to be worried. You are safe here when you update the iOS of your iPod Touch with you own apple ID. To be more safe, you can reset the system by yourself and erase all data.