Questions about files and SSD drive on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidtutu, Sep 12, 2012.

1. davidtutu macrumors newbie

Hey all

I just got a mac book pro a week ago and i have mountain lion installed

I am using my pro 13 for music, word processing and browsing....

I have two questions to ask

1. Why doesnt all my files such as music show in my ''all my files'' section:confused:
    Only documents show, what am i doing wrong

2. Do i need an SSD drive?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If your music files are saved on your main hard drive then it should show up in "all my files." Make sure you click the "show all" tab at the top right. As far as SSD goes, No, you do not need it. It will make your computer faster but is not a necessity.

3. davidtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

i think it is saved on the hard drive:confused:

it only shows documents, but not my music:eek:

Also what show all tab

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

As far as your usage goes an SSD is not really needed but if you find things to be slow to your preferences then you could always upgrade for some increased speed.

Depending on how much music you have, you could go for a lower capacity SSD as word documents won't take up much space at all. A 128GB SSD should suffice unless your music collection is obnoxious, and those can be bought for $80-120 depending on sales and what not.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Do you see a tab on the top that says Search: This Mac - All my Files.
    Make sure you have "This Mac" clicked. If you dont see it, right click on "all by files" in the side bar and click "show search criteria" the tab should open up.

6. davidtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i did that

where it says all files, in front of it, it says this mac but when i turn the laptop off and reboot it dissapaears :confused:
    ''This Mac'' part doesnt stay there. How do you make it stay there even when you turn it off and on again? Gosh this is so confusing man....:mad:

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Umm, i dont think you can. Would probably just be easier to use spotlight if your looking for something specific.

8. davidtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm okay

does your all my files show up after you reboot (with all your music etc) or do you have to click on ''this mac''.]

The funny thing is that documents show up, even after you reboot but my music doesn't,

Is there something wrong with my mac?

Sorry about the 1million questions

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Nope, nothing is wrong with your mac. I actually tried a restart on mine and it did the same thing. I then googled it and found that this is an issue that everyone has. It's just the way the software is. I personally never use All My Files tab. If i need to look for a file, i just use spotlight to open the direct file or the folder i know its in. If you need to get to your music files, just search music and select your itunes folder (iTunes - music), it will show you all your music files.

10. jk73 macrumors 6502

I haven't finished organizing my new rMBP, but I thought that if a music file was stored in iTunes (and only in iTunes), then it wouldn't show in "All My Files." (Ditto for pictures stored in iPhoto.) Maybe I'm wrong about this.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Music files are not stored in iTunes at all. Your iTunes library file contains information about your music collection, but it does not contain the media files. Those are contained in folders on your computer and/or on other drives.

12. jk73 macrumors 6502

Right, the media files are stored in the ~/Music/iTunes folder. But I still thought that files stored there weren't shown in "All My Files," although I could be wrong. (As with iPhoto, I'd assume Apple doesn't want people to start moving, deleting, or renaming iTunes files from outside iTunes, which "All My Files" could unwittingly facilitate.)

13. davidtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

So how come in ''all my files'' it only shows documents but not music/movies or anything!

I am really confused about this. Isn't everything supposed to be shown or am i wrong.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, "All My Files" is simply a search of the user files on your drive. You can certainly rename iTunes music files from Finder, with no affect on iTunes functionality. iTunes will recognize and track changes to the file names.

15. davidtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

So what am I doing wrong

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your music files stored on your internal drive aren't showing up in "All My Files", try re-indexing your drive:
    If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​