Questions about Final Cut Studio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefishy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. thefishy macrumors newbie

So, now i have now had a little time to think about staying on windows or moving on to mac.. and because my work uses mac i thought i might move on to mac. It is certainly easier for me to do graphic design.

I would like to ask couple questions here as I'm making decisions about what model to buy at the moment.

1. Would 2.0ghz/2.16ghz MBP run FCS well? I will be able to buy this model off work for probably half price retail.

2. Could Macbook possibly good enough to actually run FCS fully? or is there a graphics problem on it?

3. I heard that new 2.5ghz MBP laggs and its not really good? or was that just a rumor?

NOTE that money is not issue for me at the moment, but i do not need to buy the BEST computer there is because this laptop will be only used at home, doing some urgent work.
    Also that FCS will be provided by work so there will be no need for me to think about buying that expensive product.

Thankyou.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think it would be fine

3. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I concur that FCP itself will work fine on a MBP regardless of its age. As for the MacBook, you could run FCP, but likely Motion and LiveType would either be non-functional or notably crippled, due to the MB's lack of a non-integrated GPU.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that FCP itself does not use the graphics co-processor--it's all RAM and CPU. Motion and LiveType do use the GPU, and while more RAM on the GPU will make it happier, you shouldn't have a problem w/ the MBPs.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i think the installer check is going to stop you

5. thefishy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you guys, it has been very helpful.

I have decided to purchase the cheaper type from work, and luckily they had 2.33ghz MBP with upgraded spec. One thing i found is it's not really portable but its just the way it is.

I'm not a big fan of mac yet, so i should probably ask this before using the computer. Do the MBPs overheat? i hear quite alot of story about overheating and etc.

6. MediaRyan macrumors member

I'm typing this as my mbp burns...

Ok, seriously though, yes. I have the previous generation (before penryn) 2.4ghz 15" model and it gets quite toasty on the part right in front of the screen as well as the underside. However, I don't have a problem with it. If and when I try to use it on my lap, that will be an issue, but I won't be doing processor intensive work (video, motion graphics, 3d rendering, etc...) from the lap position.

I think all laptops get hot, but the mbp design perhaps has the side affect of more heat transfer to the case due to the thin design? I'm not sure if thats true but it'll simply depend on the position you'll find yourself using it in...