Questions about Flip4Mac installation...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GITANAJAVA, May 29, 2009.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Hello, all -- long time no post ;-)

Flip4Mac seems to work properly -- as far as I can detect, not certain since I also have QT, of course, plus VLC) -- but, whenever I open a Finder window and see the following (q.v. attachment), I'm mildly bugged by (1) the Flip4Mac folder displayed in Applications instead of "WMV Player.app" with its icon, and (2) by the other files (the RTFD and PDF) being where they are rather than in Documents.

If you are a frequent Flip4Mac flyer, is this how the app displays for you? Or, do I need to rearrange the files somehow? I fully acknowledge my obsessive compulsive sense of order might be working overtime on this issue, so perhaps it's fine as is, but your expert feedback will be deeply appreciated .

Thanks, all! ;)

2. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

911 to Mad Jew or any of the other MR demi-gods...

Mad Jew, if you're out there -- or one of the other fonts o' wisdom is available, I'd deeply appreciate your feedback on this. Ta! ;)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you had bothered to open the Flip4Mac folder, then you would have seen that it houses the Flip4Mac uninstaller, the user guide in PDF format, a ReadMe file, the WMV Player, and an alias to the WMV Upgrade preferences pane.

4. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

if you had bothered to be nice, maybe life would be a little better for you. :D

5. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

:confused:

Indeed, I did "bother" to open all the files. And read them thoroughly. However, as has been duly noted in my first query, I did not find an answer.

Now, if anyone has some helpful guidance to my original question, it will be much welcomed. Thanks, fellow MR citizens!

6. Salmar macrumors regular

I have the same isssue and all I see is the blue folder for flip 4Mac in my applications. Whether it's working or not I can't be sure either.

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Flip4Mac installs in this way, with the folder and then associated application and documents within that folder. If you don't like it that way you can always move the files to Applications and Documents respectively if you wish. It does seem like Flip4Mac uses more of a Windows way to install the program than a Mac way as far as where it places the files. Seems like they are making the Applications folder into more of a pseudo Start Menu...

8. Salmar macrumors regular

Okay thanks, so if it installs this way I will just leave it alone. As long as it works it's no problem.

9. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

To MacManiac and ik402c...

Many thanks to you both, and to MM in particular, for your encouragement, guidance and clarification about F4C.

Now that you mention it, the installation does possess that Windoze style doesn't it? Little wonder then that it didn't make a lot of sense ;-)