Questions about getting a friends business email setup on IMAP or something else?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Imola Ghost, May 15, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I don't know how this works but his small company is setup to get email thru a POP server. I really believe his web designer is screwing him because his website sucks and they actually trade out favors for one another however I don't believe my friend is getting much out of it in return for what he does.

Anyway, I thought I'd do some research and find out for him. How difficult is it to switch his current way of getting email thru POP to something better?

I may not know what I'm talking about and please excuse me but this is all new.

Ideas?

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

It depends on what they want to do. There is no right answer, only different ones. If they want to sync their individual emails across multiple computers and devices I would use IMAP. If they have one computer in the office that they do work on, there is nothing wrong with POP either.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

They access the email from several devices and computers.

Is this something that the web designer should/can do? How do we go about doing this?

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

That line is blurred. It would be your webhost though. If the web designer set up your web host, he should know where to find it.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would recommend looking into Google Apps. Works well for me, although I don't have any big installations, just a couple addresses each. Works just like Gmail, but your own domain. Would require a little bit of work from the web developer, unless you or your friend have direct access to the domain setup.

jW

6. manueld macrumors 6502

I would say a web designer/developer wouldn't be responsible for setting up company email as that is more of an IT issue rather than a web issue. While some designer/developers may be knowledgeable about such things, unless it was part of the scope of work I would say no.