Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLR2009

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Hi I have a couple questions and concerns about getting a Magic Mouse. I currently have a wireless Mighty Mouse but I haven't been able to scroll down for a couple of months. I can only scroll up.

I have an early 2009 Quad Core Mac Pro which is running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Is the Magic Mouse better than the Mighty Mouse? Is it comfortable to hold and use? Is it easy adjusting to a Magic Mouse after using a Mighty Mouse? I would like to hear your opinions.

I also have a concern that I have been reading about in a couple forums. I was reading about the Magic Mouse being Laggy and misbehaving on Mac Pro's, should I be concerned?

I read that it has something to do with the bluetooth. Should I stay clear of the Magic Mouse because of this?

Any info is greatly appreciated

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The Magic Mouse tends to lag if there is heavy wireless traffic, like moving files on a local network. Strangely something like downloading at 10 Mbps from the 'net doesn't seem to cause any problems. Still haven't found a solution to that one, apparently it is due to the wireless and bluetooth bands being at the same frequency.

I absolutely loathe the Mighty Mouse, it's one of the worst mice I've ever tried. The Magic Mouse is much better.

However, it's not the most ergonomic design. For me the best things about it are the effortless horizontal/vertical scrolling, it's bluetooth and works fine most of the time (excluding that wireless saturation thing), it's small so it fits in my laptop bag nicely. But the mouse could be a bit more rounded at the edges and because it's so low it doesn't fit your hand all that well. I do use it 8 hours a day and haven't had any hand problems yet so I guess it's ergonomic enough.

Battery life is decent at best and the mouse tends to die without warning, just today the battery level reported 15% but still refused to work before I changed the batteries. The mouse can be noisy on some surfaces and the black rails that are on the bottom are not particularly durable, after about 3 months there is noticeable wear on them so I imagine eventually the mouse will simply sit lower to the surface until eventually the plastic rails wear out.

I think it's a good companion for a Macbook Pro if you want a mouse you can easily carry with you, but otherwise I would not recommend it. For desktop systems most Logitech mice will be more comfortable and with mouse gesture software like xGestures you can do nearly everything you can with the Magic Mouse's multitouch surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.