Questions about giving my phone to my kid.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdinca, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cdinca macrumors 6502

when I get my 3G and give my 1st gen to my kid as an iPod:

1. Does my sim card stay in? Answered: Sim card can stay in if not going to use it as phone
    2. Will she be able to sync it to her computer, or does it stay on mine? Answered: I authorize her computer, and she can sync on her own machine
    3. Can I restore it to clean out all of my stuff? Answered: Yes. But keep the SIM in while restoring, you might need it to reactivate the phone.
    4. Can she update to future firmware versions? Answered: Yes, but keep sim in. The SIM does not need to be an "Active" SIM just a Carrier SIM
    5. Can she continue to use appstore? Answered: Yes
    6. Will all features other than phone still work? Answered: Yes

also, anyone recommend a good case for a crazy little kid? Maybe bullet-proof:)

Thank you all for answering all of my questions!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Biggest question to start with:

Does she have her own unique iTunes store account? Or is her computer logged onto your account and it's one of your authorized computers?

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Does she have her own account?

No you do not leave your sim in.
    If she has her own account, activate it to her computer and then remove your sim.
    You can disable the radio in airplane mode, but I believe this disables wifi access as well.

4. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

She doesn't have an account right now, but I can set it up whichever way will work best for my needs. I'm sure I would be doing all store purchases or downloads, as she is not really old enough to do that by herself.

Is it best to just authorize her computer?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apps and movies stick to the account they are bought on. Technically, music does too, but it's DRM free now so it doesn't really matter for music.

I say this because your daughter will someday move out of your house and she'll probably want to take her movies and apps with her.

Since iTunes still doesn't allow account splitting, the only way to let her keep your stuff is to leave her as an authorized user of your account until the end of time. (WHY iTunes doesn't let you split an account into two accounts baffles me...perhaps it will be a feature by the time your daughter is older?)

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that it might make sense to start a new account for her, but with a password only you know, so you can control her spending because you'll have to come authorize any purchases. (On the phone anyway, I'm not sure how it works in iTunes.) So then, whatever she buys, she can take with her eventually.

The downside is that she then can't use the apps you have NOW.

So the case FOR sharing an account is that she can use all your current apps and iTunes-bought movies.

So it comes down to that: Do you have a ton of apps she'll want? Or none? I'd base it off of that and how likely you'll want to share apps in the future. If you're on the same account you can each use an app after only buying it once. That's a big benefit.

So I can't say which way you sould do it, but those are the reasons for each choice.

6. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for this detailed reply. She is 4, so I'm not concerned with the "move out of the house" issue. So I will authorize her computer.

I am going to update my original post with the answers I think I know now.

So the phone doesn't throw an error if the sim is removed?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, I was imagining 12 or 13.

Yes, by the time she leaves you'll download files from iTunes directly into your brain. So none of this will matter for her! :)

EDIT: So to be clear, yes, just do everything with your account. You said "her" computer but at age 4 it's really still "your" computer, even if she uses it. Just keep everything under the same system.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I think this would be a great case for a 4 year old. Plus it comes in some pretty colors that she'd probably like!

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/pixelskin/iphone-3g/143

(My 2 year old cousin loves playing with my iPhone! I will be glad when my 3GS comes so whenever he visits I can let him play with my old one instead of mine! After you mentioned this... perhaps I will look into a cheap case somewhere so I don't have to watch him quite as much with it.)

9. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, that is an awesome case, but it is only for 3g...I have 1st gen. They do sell a clear one that is similar for my version, but it is sold out.

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Sorry, assumed you had the 3G. 1st gen cases are harder to find now. I had this one for awhile but decided I didnt really like it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl59045

Might want to look here: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/review_grades/C250/ They have a list of a bunch with reviews.

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

Wow, that is one lucky 4 year old!!! Just don't expect it to survive long, even with a case. There are hundreds of ways she can destroy it (dropping it in water would be the #1 way).

12. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, she steals it every day, and has yet to do anything bad to it. I, on the other hand, have dropped it twice. She also has a pretty nice digital SLR that she is very careful with. I'm not saying she won't break it, just that she is no more likely than I:)

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, you should. But keep the SIM in while restoring, you might need it to reactivate the phone.

It should work. However, if she ever needs to *restore* the phone, you might have to take the SIM from your new phone and stick it into the old one to activate it. You can swap the SIM back to your new phone once the old one is activated. At least, that's how I understand this works, haven't actually tried this myself.

They should. Features that requires an internet connection will only work where you have WiFi access. Your old phone would basically become an ipod touch with camera.

14. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the reason I'm removing the sim in the first place? This part leaves me a bit confused.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Let me guess, a Canon EOS Mark III with a 400mm f/2.8L lens? I'm envious of your kids gear lol.

16. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Can I restore it to clean out all of my stuff?

Yup.

Can she update to future firmware versions?

Yup. You'll need to put your sim in while you upgrade and activate though.

Will all features other than phone still work?

It'll work just like an iPod touch. With a camera. And a semi-proper speaker

Also, a pretty good case is the DLO JamJacket. Had one on my 1st Gen. Perfect. It even has a holding attachment for headphones.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Use these 2 rules:

- Always use 2 hands
    - Must stay seated

Violation of either rule gets the iPod taken away. My 2-year-old learned quickly and she's never come close to damaging it!

EDIT: For example:
    http://twitpic.com/6uy62

Great for airplane trips!
    That was age 1.5.
    As we were getting off the plane we had multiple people say "There was a BABY on the flight!? I didn't even hear her!"
    Yeah, Elmo will do that.

18. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

That was like my girl 2 years ago...just quietly playing with the phone. Now it's "Daddy! Daddy! Watch this! (presses the fart button) HA HA!" over and over again. True...my fault, as I put it on there for her.

19. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You're removing the sim because it is your sim with your phone number on it and you need to use it in your phone. If the sim is in then she can access internet and make calls etc. To leave a sim in then you'd have to add a line for her and i dont think a 4 year old needs an iPhone to make phone calls while she is out! However, you can't activate or restore or upgrade a phone that isnt being used... so you throw your sim back in and it activates the phone and then put your sim back in your phone to restore service to your phone.

Does that make sense?

Oh and when you're switching between phones and activating them just be careful to check your ATT account online after wards in case it switches your 3G down to the $20 edge plan. I'm not sure if it would, but if it does it might have some $$ consequences.

20. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what confuses me. When my new phone comes, I am not going to put the sim from my 1st gen into the 3Gs. I am just going to use the new sim that comes with it. Is the suggestion that if I were to turn on my old phone with the sim in, I would be able to make call from it?

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

She's 4?

Wouldn't it be quicker/easier to just put the iPhone directly in the toilet yourself?

22. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Hm... I'm not sure then. Maybe you can leave the sim in and put it in airplane mode?

Now i'm confused by the whole 3G/2G sim card thing... because I had planned on using my 2G as a backup for my 3Gs but if the sims arn't interchangeable then i have a problem? ah!

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think (and again, I'm not positive as I haven't tried this yet myself, though chances are I will be trying this out soon, as my partner may be upgrading to the 3Gs, at which point I'll be inheriting his current 3G to use as a Touch), that an iPhone needs an active SIM in it in order to get reactivated after a restore. So if you buy a 3Gs and activate that SIM with your account, then the SIM in your current phone becomes deactivated. So presumably, you'd need to swap the active SIM into the older phone whenever you need to restore/reactivate it.

There's also the chance that when you buy a new iPhone, ATT would instruct you to take the SIM from the old phone and stick it into the new one. Again, haven't done this yet, so not sure what exactly would be the standard procedure.

24. dave006 macrumors 68020

There is no need for you to remove the SIM. Just make sure that when you get your new iPhone that you use the new SIM to activate on your existing number. This will deactivate your current SIM and you can then just leave it in the original iPhone.

The previous poster thought that you were providing it to your daughter to use an iPhone, so it was suggested to remove your originial SIM.

The reason that you want to keep the SIM was covered in a number of posts above concerning certain cases that require a SIM. The SIM does not need to be an "Active" SIM just a Carrier SIM, in your case, AT&T.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Dave

25. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You Dave, that makes sense.