Questions about iChat, VLC, and Dashboard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jawwwwsh, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Jawwwwsh macrumors newbie

So I just got a MacBook and chuffed to bits with it (h)

I have a few (hopefully!) simple questions I would like to ask about mac apps, and how they differ from the old PC stuff I'm used to.

So, to begin iChat. Can iChat be used as a sort of universal chat program integrating Skype, MSN, Facebook chat etc in a much similar manner to the Ubuntu chat program??

Next I have a question about default players for movies. I have downloaded and installed VLC player but it doesn't seem to be working perfectly, I cannot get it to be the default player for avi and mkv video files. I have managed to get it to be the program that opens up when you click any video file but the icons still show either QT icons, VLC icons for the ones already opened or blank for others. Is there any way to make it refresh its icons and show them all as VLC icons, or even better as little images of the video within like 2 of them have decided to do!!!

My next and final question is more of an addition really. What cool apps and things have you guys spotted over your time as mac users for the Dashboard, and where can I find them? I think its a cool option and I'd like to use it to its full potential!! :)

Looking forward to replies,

yours faithfully addicted to his new Mac,

Josh

2. Salacion macrumors 6502a

(1) iChat can only be used with AIM, Google Talk and Jabber. No integration exists for Skype, MSN or Facebook.

(2) As for VLC and making it default, it's quite simple. Next time you open an AVI or MKV video, right click on it. Next select "Get Info", then you'll see an "Open With:" section. Just choose VLC from the drop down, and that specific file will always open with VLC. If you want to make it universal, just select the "Change All" button right below. I don't understand the second part of your question.

(3) As for Dashboard widgets, well, there aren't many good ones. I've found most to be buggy. The only one I can actually recommend is the Checkmarker Checklist widget (by Monkey Business Labs). They charge for their Pro version. Besides that, I'd stick to the ones provided.

3. Jawwwwsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response mate, the only bit left unanswered then is my confusing situation with the thumbnails of video files.
    The thumbnail is the icon you see when looking at your video file in the finder, and usually it will show an icon related to the default program that opens it, and with video files it will often show you a snapshot of the video itself as the thumbnail, BUT the thumbnails in my 'Movies' folder appear completely random, some show VLC related thumbnails, some show Quicktime thumbnails, some show Snapshots of the movie itself and it doesn't seem dependant on which filetype they are! They all open in VLC now (Thanks btw :) ) but still random thumbnails, any help?!