Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Ok, so me and my mom are both looking at getting iMacs this semester so we have great reliable computers to last us both through college.

Now, I currently have a Macbook Air 2011 128 gig SSD. Theres nothing wrong with the machine but I have decided that I do need a "home computer" to last me a good few years.

My mom is also fed with windows and my macbook has converted her to only using apple computers now, so much that she has started using her iPad 1 for a laptop.

The way my moms desk is built does not allow for the 27 inch iMac. So she has decided to go with the upper end 21.5 inch. I told her about the new iMacs coming out in a few months and that she might want to wait for them. She said she doesn't want to wait if they are not coming out till the end of the semester.

Can anybody give me a rough estimate of when we think the new iMacs are coming out. Also, she wants it to last her around 5-7 years.

Now, ME on the other hand, I can wait. That said do you think I should go with the base 27 inch or the upper end 21 inch. I don't really do a whole lot to warrant the extra screen size but it wouldn't be a bad thing either. I want this iMac to last me a good 5 years or so.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Ok, so me and my mom are both looking at getting iMacs this semester so we have great reliable computers to last us both through college.

Now, I currently have a Macbook Air 2011 128 gig SSD. Theres nothing wrong with the machine but I have decided that I do need a "home computer" to last me a good few years.

My mom is also fed with windows and my macbook has converted her to only using apple computers now, so much that she has started using her iPad 1 for a laptop.

The way my moms desk is built does not allow for the 27 inch iMac. So she has decided to go with the upper end 21.5 inch. I told her about the new iMacs coming out in a few months and that she might want to wait for them. She said she doesn't want to wait if they are not coming out till the end of the semester.

Can anybody give me a rough estimate of when we think the new iMacs are coming out. Also, she wants it to last her around 5-7 years.

Now, ME on the other hand, I can wait. That said do you think I should go with the base 27 inch or the upper end 21 inch. I don't really do a whole lot to warrant the extra screen size but it wouldn't be a bad thing either. I want this iMac to last me a good 5 years or so.

I don't really get when people say they want their computers lasting 5-7 or whatever amount of years... your computer will last as long as your warranty does, after that its a take and miss game. If you ask whether the computer will be able to reliably run the common software (like internet, office) for that period of time, sure, any iMac (or any Mac computer) will do that. Anyway, you didn't specify what kind of tasks or software you use, so this is the best answer I can come up with.

Now: the new iMacs will come out around the same time the new Intel CPUs (Ivy Bridge) will be released, we are talking about spring-summer 2012.

If you want more screen estate, get the 27" model, if you don't need it, get the smaller one. As for the specs, it depends on what you do. Note: the iMac will probably feel slower in common workflows than the Air because of the later's SSD drive.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The future is unclear.

The best information we have (from other threads in this forum) is that the Intel chip likely to be used in the next iMac has been delayed until 2nd quarter, which probably means April-June. It's also true that Apple will sometimes have early access to Intel's initial quantities, though I don't know if that's ever been true for a CPU. At any rate most of us would be very surprised to see the new iMac before April.

There's also speculation that the screen sizes may change in this release.. say, a 24 and a 30/32 instead of a 21 and a 27. So there's not a whole lot of value in trying to guess which 2012 iMac you want.

If my (2007 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 24") iMac died today, I'd buy 3.1 GHz 27" and add in the SSD and the extra gig of RAM on the memory card. But I have no reason to believe it's dying today, so I'm going to wait it out; I'm thinking in the next model the SSD may be standard, or at least be lower than $500 to add on. (But that's just pure personal speculation.)

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
The task that I do really aren't all that different then what other people do on their computers.

I like to play on Garageband a lot. I don't play video games so no need to worry about that.

And I won't be able to buy an iMac until at least the beginning of april so no issues there, but my mom will able to buy one by the end of february. Power doesn't really matter to her she just wants to last her a long time, I explained to her that no computer is designed to be used for 7 years but for what she uses it for I could see it lasting that long.

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
In my opinion, I wouldn't really play the waiting game for the new iMacs as they aren't rumored to contain a huge upgrade. Also, if you already own a MBA, why not purchase an Apple Thunderbolt Display, or a similar 3rd party monitor to serve your MBA as a desktop computer;)

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
When the new 2012 iMac is available, does one want to buy the 1st model? It would be less risky to watch others obtain a new iMac, view their feedback, view their new design bugs, then decide to buy, or wait longer. If wondering, I always way 2+ months before buying new. Monitor the market for any bugs or other hidden problems. Thus, even if the new 2012 iMacs are released in June 15, one might want to buy in Aug 15. Since the current iMacs are very stable, I'd buy now. Waiting 6+ months is a long time to wait....

Also keep in mind that even today, the i5 chips are more then enough power for university assignments. Only reason one might want more power (like the i7 chips or SSD) is for megs videos, CAD apps and other CPU hungary apps. Today's i5 is more than enough power for the average university / college student using a fixed position Desktop system.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I personally just bought an iMac 27" and I decided to go with the entry level 27" rather than the top 21.5", I also bought Apple Care so I expect for my machine to last until Apple Care does and at that point I will most likely want to upgrade anyway.

yashi

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
If your mom will be unhappy with her current computer situation until the refresh, she should buy now. A slightly faster computer isn't really worth ~4 months of unhappiness. Just my opinion.

Also, she could take advantage of less expensive refurbished iMacs from Apple.com or savings on new ones at various sites that may not be available for the new models for some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.