Questions about iMessage and Contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kieron121, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kieron121 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    So, i will be a new IOS 5 user when my new iphone 4s gets delivered, and i've been reading all about the new specs, but i'm mainly interested in the IOS 5 update which includes the iMessage.

Now i was wondering if its possible to imessage someone from the iphone, using just the email id (like BBM just have a pin without using the number), without them getting the phone number of the device i am sending it from, but at the same time imessaging some one else whilst having my number displayed to them..
    Basically i have certain people/contacts i want to imessage, but not let them ever see my number, for business reasons. is this possible?

and....

I'm still using my android (i'm currently on the htc desire) and i can get contact information through using the Facebook on the device, so when i go to contacts all my Facebook friends on there have their numbers and email addresses displayed.
    Does the iphone also do anything similar to this? because it would save a lot of time when updating the contacts when i eventually get the new phone.

2. moel macrumors 6502

The answer to your first question, no one really knows right now..but will now later today...

But I'd suggest you buy a separate phone to text your 'business' partners... although quite why you'd never want them to have your phone number, when you can't guarantee that they've not got an iPhone is a mystery to everyone but you.

Question 2, yes Facebook for iPhone does exactly that if you want it to!

Also , you know you can sync your HTC up to your windows address book don't you? Then you can use iTunes to sync from the windows address book and that will do a straight copy of your contacts from the HTC to the iPhone.

3. lentini macrumors regular

No, it's one or the other. You can change the 'Call ID' in the iMessages settings but you can't do it for individual contacts.

4. kieron121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply..
    As for question one:
    these contacts, i already contact them from my business phone as you suggested, but they currently have IOS devices (iphone and ipad), but i will only be upgrading my personal phone (as the contract is due to finish) and as i know now that you can switch off imessage at any time suits me fine, but i just don't want to disclose my personal number to them, because then they can always send a regular sms or call that number.

Any one know?

----------

Hmm,
    ok then, for example i only display apple id, but then i compose a message to a friend who has imessage, and i enter their number, would their number be recognised by my phone to send as imessage instead of sms?
    and same the other way around? if they just send me a message from their device using my number would their phone recognise i have ios5?

5. lentini macrumors regular

Yes, it automatically detects

6. kieron121 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thank you, as you can see i am new to apple, i havn't even got the phone yet, lol

but to be able to do what i asked in original post, i can just change call ID to apple id without displaying my phone number to just imessage users, but just save my contacts that i don't mind having my number to the device itself and those personal contacts will know i have imessage, and any other person that i don't want seeing it will only get my apple id...yes?

and changing my call id only affect i message right? i cant still call people and they will see my phone number?

thanks again

7. lentini macrumors regular

Yes and yes

8. kieron121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, problem solved.... can't wait until friday now.

9. JudgeKenny macrumors member

Something I've been wondering is, how does iOS know where to send messages?

For example, if I message a friend from my iPhone but he's got an iPhone and an iPad, how does the system know to send it to his iPad as well? Is it somehow tied in to his Apple login, or is it like FaceTime, where it'll use the person's email address?

Anybody know? Thanks.

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've been wondering that myself. If anybody with iOS 5 knows, please share. :)

11. lentini macrumors regular

Mine is set up with my Apple ID email address and phone number for iMessage on my phone and my me.com email address on my iPad.

Simples.

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

So, if you were a contact in my iPhone and I wanted to message you, would I need to select your me.com email address if I want to send the message to your iPad? Is there a way where it'll go to both your devices simultaneously?

13. lentini macrumors regular

I haven't tried it myself but it should go to both devices if you use the same email address on both

14. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Thanks!