Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
iCloud demo looks interesting. I'm thinking about upgrading my OS to lion to use iCloud with my iphone. So my question is :

If I upgrade snow leopard to lion, does it wipe out all my hard drive? If so, how do I backup all my data and applications? Do I just simply copy them to an external hard drive?

And how good/bad is lion? I heard lion could be as bad as Vista...

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you format your drive, and then install lion, you will loose everything. If you just instal lion over everything, you should be able to keep your stuff. I wouldn't suggest just hoping everything works, because there have even weird installs before.

I would suggest backing everything up to an external drive. You can use an external drive and just copy everything over, or setup Time Machine (my preferred method) and it will create a backup that will be very easy to restore from if necessary. Just go to system preferences > time machine and turn it on with an external drive attached.

Lion is not Apples vista, only because vista changed a bunch of things that broke drivers for many devices. Lion still has some bugs, and some quirks that people need to get use to, but it is still stable, and almost everything (except Rosetta apps) that worked on Snow Leopard will work on lion.

umjams

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Just to build on what comeagain? stated, you can (and according to Apple it is the preferred method of install) just install Lion over Snow Leopard without issue.

I say that but of course you never know and you might be that 1 in "x" amount of people that have issues during the install...So yes it would be smart to do a backup and Time Machine makes it easy.

I have had Lion from the first day of release and while there are some small things to figure out I simply cannot complain about it's performance. So if you want to use iCloud go for it and just update your software.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just Install Lion

iCloud demo looks interesting. I'm thinking about upgrading my OS to lion to use iCloud with my iphone. So my question is :

If I upgrade snow leopard to lion, does it wipe out all my hard drive? If so, how do I backup all my data and applications? Do I just simply copy them to an external hard drive?

And how good/bad is lion? I heard lion could be as bad as Vista...

Over SL....It's what I did, lost nothing and have had no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.