Questions about installing Windows on my RMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 7, 2012.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I am wanting to install Windows 7 on my RMBP using Bootcamp. I am doing this solely for gaming. I've never used bootcamp on any of my macs before, so I have a few questions. Thanks for any help!

1. Is THIS the version of Windows 7 I should purchase? Also, where is the cheapest place I can buy it?

2. How much space should I partition? I was thinking 75GB because I won't be doing anything other than gaming.

3. How does Windows 7 perform with the RMBP? Is there any software or drivers I need to download to make it compatible? Does it run well downscaled from 2880x1800? Or will OSX just take care of everything?

4. Kinda off topic, but how do I use my XBOX 360 controller with my RMBP?

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. So long as it's a retail (as in, not OEM) copy, you're good.

2. Depends on how much space your games take up, you'd be the best judge of that.

3. Not a clue. The trackpad is likely to be either very crappy to use or unusable. Windows' trackpad drivers suck. Forget about multi-touch too.

As far as graphics go, I'm not sure how it'll be managed by windows. Since it is resolution independent it should run fine. OS X won't take care of anything, as it won't be running. Bootcamp makes you run windows like you had a windows based PC.

4. AFAIK, that's not possible.

3. andybrown44 macrumors regular

The copy of Windows linked to is OEM

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

You'll only be able to do this in Windows, not OSX, and you'll need the Microsoft Wireless Adapter to do it. It's a USB adapter that's actually kinda hard to find these days. Most of the time it's sold in a package along with a controller, which is lame if you already have a controller. You can still find them online if you poke around though. Make sure you get the OFFICIAL Microsoft adapter and not one of the cheaper knock-offs (they fail quickly).

5. ronron macrumors newbie

1. If you would like to test Bootcamp before shedding some money, consider using the Free Windows 8 Release Preview

2. 75GB is more than enough.

3. There are some drivers that need to be install any order to get the Function to... well function like brightness, etc.

4. Use a adapter

6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

When you use the bootcamp assistant in OS X it will ask if you ant to download bootcamp drivers. Do that and copy it to an external drive. When you boot into windows use launch run the driver installer and you will have the basic drivers. I would also suggest going to nVida's website and downloading the latest drivers for your graphics card.

It should render fine if you scale everything 2X times.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

What's wrong with OEM?

Multitouch works fine in windows

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

75 GB is doable, but a very very tight fit for 64bit windows 7 (which installs to about 15GB)...considering most modern games take up 9-30GB you will only be able to have a few games installed at a time (which is what you have to do with SSD regardless) I have 128GB allocated to windows on my Mac Pro and it allows me to have about 4 games at a time. Which isn't too bad.

9. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Honestly I have an early 2008 MBP and the touchpad works like a dream here. It's the smoothest thing I've ever used and often I prefer it over my mouse.

I am however using Boot Camp 2.0 & 2.1 drivers for my touchpad though. I tried the 3.0 drivers and they were too jittery and hyper-sensitive to my liking. I have no idea if those drivers work for the newer touchpads.

10. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

He didn't build the laptop so installing an OEM version would be against Microsoft's EULA.

I'm still undecided about running Windows on my base rMBP due to disk space :(

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Read the EULA again. The OEM software has to be bundled with hardware, but it doesn't necessarily have to be installed on the computer with said hardware. The license is simply tied to whichever motherboard it's initially installed on.

12. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

I downloaded the 32bit Windows 8 preview... Just gonna use that on boot camp to play a few games n stuff and it's free so why not.. Question is what is the best way to install this on my retina Mac pro? And how Do I install the games on my external hard drive and play them off that? Thanks a lot guys

13. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

I just installed Windows on Boot Camp & Parallels. I did 20GB, because I just wanted it to play Counter Strike.

Make a bootable Windows USB drive. Open boot camp assistant and they do everything for you. They even install the proper drivers you need onto your USB drive as well.

2880x1800 is supported after downloading the NVIDIA drivers, but not really recommended. The elements get too small, and almost unusable on a 15" screen.

The performance is great. Even in Parallels, I allocated 3GB and it works great.

14. GCWB macrumors member

15. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

I don't need to read the EULA again I know how Microsoft licensing works. What you're talking about is how it is to be sold not how it should be used.

Original Equipment Manufacturer licenses are sold to system builders and manufacturers to install on PCs that they then sell on to customers or apply to a system they are constructing for personal use. OEM stickers shouldn't be used on computers that have already been purchased as it's against the EULA and Microsoft PUR, so in the case of Bootcamp or Parallels/VM/Virtualbox on a MBP you need a full retail copy of Windows.

16. eeclipse16 macrumors member

This will show you how to do everything including installing the drivers for Windows 7. The track pad works great in Windows but as a previous post mentioned there are no multi touch gestures.

I don't know how memory hogging the games are that you play but I left 30 gigabytes for my partition and after install I was left with about 6-8 gigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhhnW3fIRw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

1. Yes, as long as its a original copy, it will be fine.

2. Depends on your use. But remember at least 10GB will be used for OS.

3. I dont own a RMBP but even with the 2011 model, it works flawless so I believe it will be fine.

4. You could try downloading gamepad companion from the App store.

18. eeclipse16 macrumors member

I tried to do it with a 20GB partition and Windows 7 32bit would fit but then I ran out of room when I went to install the Apple drivers.

19. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Not true at all.

OEM copy of Windows is ideal for the RMBP/MBA because you can't change the internal hardware by any significant amount, other than sending it to AppleCare. Also, some stores sell OEM copies without requiring you to buy a PC component alongside. Finally, when is the last time you read the Windows OS install's EULA document in its entirety?

The only tangible benefit of a retail copy is being able to reinstall and re-activate on a different hardware setup e.g. new logic board per AppleCare service, without first calling Microsoft.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (OEM) installed on my MBPR, fully activated on Bootcamp, then re-activated it after installing VMWare and running the Bootcamp as a VM.

20. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

21. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

I never said you couldn't install it or it wouldn't work, just that it's against the Microsoft OEM license terms (you know that thing you have to read and agree to, before opening the packaging).

Seems the meaning of OEM is too hard for people to grasp...

22. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Since when are those license terms enforceable, let alone being actively enforced?

It's against the law in many states to smoke weed, yet people keep risking jail time doing it. Same thing.

23. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

FWIW, after you bootcamp and complete the Windows 7 x64 installation you can clone Windows 7 x64 plus the MBR to an external Thunderbolt drive. I have successfully completed this process a few times using Norton Ghost live copy from within Windows 7 x64. Its very fast SSD to SSD over Thunderbolt. The key is to disconnect the Thunderbolt drive immediately after cloning, then boot to OSX to delete the Bootcamp partition before attempting to boot either Windows 7 installations. This is a nice way to save space or make a very large Windows 7 install for gamers when internal space is limited.

Note: This method was tested with a Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex 2.5" adapater with a 256GB Samsung 830 in the enclosure. The source drives where all Sandforce SF-2281 drives of varying capacities. The bootcamp drivers must be installed in Windows 7 prior to cloning. The internal drive bootcamp partition must be deleted before attempting to boot from the external Thunderbolt drive.

24. Meever macrumors 6502a

You can always download the official iso from Microsoft directly to test out windows

to actually have games on the ssd you'll need more depending on your library (most modern games are 10gb+, windows takes up 10ish, drivers, directx, etc etc)

trackpad kind of sucks. It works but it's fidgety and multi touch is 2 points only.

Going 2880x1800 is not ideal. It messes up the ui for a lot of the apps (like tabs in browsers and stuff)

25. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

All you will have left would be 10GB.
    10GB for your OS and another gig or 2 for the drivers.
    128GB SSD, all you actually get is about 120GB.

I always make 110GB partition.