Questions about IOS Developer Program

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by B.A.T, Sep 16, 2011.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I currently have Xcode4 installed on my machine and have some programming experience. However, I'm still teaching myself Objective-C, learning the ins and outs of Xcode and I have a couple of questions before I shell out $299 of my company's money.

1) How active are the Apple Developer forums? Do most people get answers to their questions?

2) I'm trying to build a set of forms for collecting survey information (in rural areas away from wifi or cell coverage). Does the Dev Center already have code for building forms for surveys or does this need to be created from scratch?

Thanks for your help.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

Apple also have developer mailing lists. They seem busy. The forums look like they get used enough. Look at the date stamps to see if the ones of interest are being used much.

Another good site is StackOverFlow.com and of course, here.

I know that there is software available that does what you want. I think it is FormEnry by http://www.widgetpress.com/. I've heard their name via the iDeveloper podcasts.

3. larswik macrumors 68000

The Apple Dev forum is good as well as this forum. If you present problem code you are having then people are very helpful in helping you solve the problem. But when people post something like...

"I don't know how to do this, please some one code this for me, thanks in advance..."

They won't see any help at all. To quote Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come."

4. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice on posting code. I'm glad to hear that people will respond if you run into problems.

I've tried the widget press product and it's pretty good but it's not quite where we need it to be for exporting csv files. It's really good at what it does though.

5. samdev macrumors regular

I think it only costs $99 to sign up. What's the other $200 for?

6. xStep macrumors 68000

That sounds like the corporate developer option. It allows you to distribute your apps within a company.

7. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Garryg macrumors newbie

Umm, have I got this right. If I sign up individualy, write my app, and 'sell' it (presumably to an individual, or say my employer) it costs $99.
    But if I sign up to distribute it withing the compony I work for it costs $299 :eek:

Why!

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Enterprise Development License is intended to allow you to develop and distribute apps inside your company. No additional revenue for Apple. Individual developers have no legal distribution method other than the app store where Apple gets 30%

If you are only trying to create fill in forms though, consider something like FormConnect in the App Store. Volume discount program for corporations may see you into a solution much faster and cheaper.

-t

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Or consider whether a web app would work.

When the device is away from cell or internet connectivity, it can store results locally. Safari on iOS supports both key/value local storage and local databases. It also supports HTML5 offline application caching.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007256

These offline caching and local databases are also supported in the same way on Mac Safari, so you can test the HTML and JavaScript using your desktop browser. Many modern browsers on other platforms also have these features. I know Chrome & Firefox have key/value storage and databases, and I'm pretty sure IE8 and higher does, too.

And there's no fee paid to Apple to develop or deploy a web app.