Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
OK folks...

So I've always kinda wanted an iPad, but have held back waiting to pass the 1st gen. Here's where I'm stuck:

Basically I suffer from "I want everything Apple makes because it's shiny and cool."

I currently own an iPod Touch 4th gen, and like it. However, since getting my Smart phone, I find I don't use my iPod nearly as much.

So...I've heard rumors about an iPad refresh coming as soon as fall, but nobody knows for sure... I'm really wondering if now is the time to buy, or if this is truly just a holdover for something better. Yes, yes, I know new and better versions will keep coming... I'm just wondering if this is the version to buy.

I noticed it has the same camera on the back as the iPod Touch does... if that's the case, pictures taken on that will look like complete crap. Pictures taken on my iPod even look bad; so I can't even imagine pictures on the iPad. (The video is great though...)

Either way, I definitely will wait to see what first impressions are when it is released...

Anyway...anyone have advice?

Last edited:

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Also; I don't have a huge use for it in mind. It would be a great tool though. I am a senior photographer and I would love to use it to show my photos on to clients.

Shisha

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
If you don't actually need it, I would personally wait, when the iPhone 4 came out it was a big change to the iPhone since release. I think will be seeing the big change with iPad next time round whether its next year or at fall.

Saying that, that may not be the case but seeing as everyone seems to be releasing tablets I definitely think a big change in iPad will come next time round, such as a bump in resolution etc.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
If you don't actually need it, I would personally wait, when the iPhone 4 came out it was a big change to the iPhone since release. I think will be seeing the big change with iPad next time round whether its next year or at fall.

Saying that, that may not be the case but seeing as everyone seems to be releasing tablets I definitely think a big change in iPad will come next time round, such as a bump in resolution etc.

Yeah. If it got a resolution bump in the next update, that would make it an ideal photo viewer.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Count on a 1 year hardware refresh cycle. There will not be new hardware in September or October (IMO). If you like this one, go for it (or get a 1st-gen for cheap). If you want "retina" and possibly a built-in card reader, wait, those are a year or two off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.